ak4 crossovers for sale

khorn#1

I have a pair of 2004 AK4 crossovers for sale. They are in perfect condition. They came out of 2004 khorns, Im the original owner of the these. Im using alk es networks in these and have no need for these anymore. They do offer a smoother transition in the mid and upper octaves campared to some of the earlier khorn networks. These would be perfect for someone that wanted to upgrade to the latest networks at a reduced cost. 450.00 plus free UPS ground shipping to anywhere in the United States. I will provide pics if anyone is interested.

Thanks

Randy

I'm going to send you me email address for pic's.  Is this PCB or point to point?

I have been looking for AL-4 xovers, but for my purposes, AK-4 xovers would also work since my understanding is that the mid and top section of the AK-4 and AL-4 are the same.

Recieved today.

Super pack job.

Hooked them up and they sound perfect.

I needed a mid range section for a pair of LaScala's which have AL-4 xovers in them.

It turns out that the mid section for the AK-4 and the AL-4 are the same.

The project was tri-wiring a pair of LaScala's and putting each of the xover circuts on different transformer taps. For the room they are in, this worked out perfectly. I did not want to cut the circut board of the AL-4 to convert to tri-wire, thus the need fo another AK-4 or AL-4 xover to gain another mid section.

There's a nice chart from Mcintosh about using the autoformer taps and bi-wiring to change the levels of HF and LF sections in the below thread.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/857347.aspx

They sound very good, just what I needed.

I have a room that is about 13 by 18 and 7.5 high. Heavy with furniture, tall plants, end tables with lamps, and large windows with the wife's window treatments.

Problem was that I was getting a big boomy bass sound character from my LaScala's that sit along on of the 13 ft walls.

I decided to tri-wire the LaScala's using a different tap setting for each of the runs to the terminals as discussed in the attached PDF.

I put the tweeter on the 8ohm tap via the original HF section of the AL-4 xover.

The woofer went on the 2 ohm tap via the original LH section of the AL-4 xover.

Now, I needed another AL--4 xover for the mid section....it turns out the AK-4 and the AL-4 have the same mid section, so I put my mid driver on the new AK-4 xover board and ran the AK-4's HF section to my amps 4 ohm tap.

So yeah, my LaScala's now use an AL-4 for the tweeter, AL-4 for the woofer, and a AK-4 for the mid driver. Another way of doing this could have been to do some cutting on the original AL-4 board and soldering some wires to convert to tri-wire, but i did not want to hack the boards not knowing if the arrangement would be a keeper.

The result was a +3db increase in the tweeter, and a -3db change in the woofer. The big boomy bass sound is gone, and now the speakers sound very good in that room.

I thought this would be intresting as a way to combine tri-wiring a pair of LaScala's in a way that would be useful using the features of the Mcintosh autoformer taps.

I'm getting very good detail, smooth highs, very controlled bass, and an amazing sound stage.

For the speaker wire guy's, I am using mid 1980's era factory cut and terminated Monster M-1 cable for each of the runs.

McIntosh%20Autoformer%20Training%20Page.pdf

Michael,

So glad they met your need, I'm also relieved they arrived to you undamaged. I had these sitting around in my audio parts cabnet for several months knowing I would most likley never use them. I'm now a huge fan of Alk es networks and was sure I would not be using the ak4's again. It is one of the better networks that klipsch put into the khorns in terms of smoother squawker and tweeter response but as I have stated before, the Alks es networks take the mighty khorns to another level. It was great to do buisness with you and I would have to add that you are a first class gentlemen in everyway. Thanks again.

Randy