Heresy III question

ibanezhater

After reading about the Heresy and Heresy II speakers, I've concluded that to get the bass that say, the Cornwalls can produce, a sub is necessary. Does this apply to the newer Heresy III?

If so, what Klipsch subs "seamlessly integrate" with the Heresy IIIs?

Right now, space is an issue, and the Heresy III might be an obvious solution. I am also considering an "all in one box" solution, namely a Linn Classik based upon five or six years of top notch reviews.

I figure once I buy a house, I can use the Linn as a bedroom system. They say the amp is wimpy, but Heresy IIIs are easy to drive.

I just hope that I can figure out how to hook up a powered sub to the Classik. I am not a tweaker.

So many damn options out there...I'd hate to buy the wrong stuff!

I don't have an answer to your question but I have to ask about "ibanezhater?" I had an Ibanez Custom 59er. A Les Paul copy back in the 70's. Thought it was a pretty good guitar. Are they crap now?

No, most of their guitars are not crap, especially now since they FINALLY realized that not all players want a double locking trem, and now offer fixed bridges on their higher end guitars.

The "ibanezhater" moniker is from my days on the Harmony Central forums. It's a resentment towards Ibanez for endorsing no talent floggers like the guys in Korn and Staind - the flavor of the month. Back in the day, their roster was amazing: Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Alex Skolnick, Reb Beach, Paul Gilbert - real metal players who could flat out play. The Jem models were cool, and the jazz boxes were great bang for the buck.

Today, it seems Ibanez has turned its back on the real guitar playing community. By signing no talent nu metal players, it sends a really bad message to any of us who bothered to take lessons.

Now, the 1970s Ibanez models were a whole different breed. The Ice Man, The Destroyer, and the Les Paul "Lawsuit" models are killer collectors models, and cannot be compared to today's stuff. The Ibanez Les Paul copy is considered by many to be superior to that era's Gibson Les Pauls.

To be honest, Ibanez recent low end models are still OK for beginnners, but their high end models are overpriced, even their neck-through models. Hell, you can get a USA Jackson for that kind of money, or even better, a Carvin!

I love 70's and 80's BC Rich guitars - handmade and appreciating in value everyday.

FYI, I play two Carvins, both of which IMHO are far superior instruments to any Japanese made Ibanez of similar style.

Lots of interesting info, I appreciate you taking the time to write it. I remember not being able to afford a BC Rich back then. I picked up a Gibson WRC that turned out to be a Charvel lawsuit guitar. Still have it from about 1987? I don't play much anymore but when I do, I reach for one of my Schons. Great guitar if you can find one, getting kind of tough.

The best, Pete

post-14158-13819321282976_thumb.jpg

I'd say get the Heresy III first to see if you think the bottom is there... then decide on a sub. I had my '75 Heresys for 30 years and they never let me down (didn't know what I was missing until I got La Scalas). Seriously, for a limited space and budget the Heresys rule - you might like them without a sub.

Now about guitars, I have three:

My camping beater - an old Sigma DM-28 (japaneese Martin) from the early eighties, sound and plays better than the two real Martin branded guitars I've played

My stage performance guitar - '87 Strat Plus in rare Sea Foam with rosewood fret board, noisless, extremely playable, great tone, twang, and snap.

My new guitar - Ibanez Artcore AF75 - very nice 16" archtop, . Of all the archtops I played (some way more expensive) this one sounded deep and bluesy, excellent guitar - sounds like a real jazz box now that I put some huge flatwound strings on it- played it on stage only once so far, sounded incredible and a delight to play. Ibanez got this one right. And it is as beautiful as it sounds.

post-16099-13819321315526_thumb.jpg

I looked and played a few of the newer Ibanez guitars after my son bought a new model, an RGA121 if I remember correctly. Mahogany body with a thick maple cap. Understated looks with great tone. He has swapped the pickup out, which did make a great improvement . I looked at the Artcore series, and they were some really great guitars for the money. Being an acoustic player, the hollowbodies were the ones I was looking at. Very, very nice for the money.

I did have a Burny, LP copy, in the late '70s, which are highly sought after. A friend of mine got his in Japan while in the Air Force. I paid him $100 for it, and it was equal to or better than many genuine LPs. Wish I still had it.

Bruce

The H3 is definitely better as a standalone speaker - it will need a
sub less than the H2 and H1. However, it will still need a sub
depending on the music you listen to. I would also recommend giving
them a listen for yourself and let your ears decide.

I'm not familiar with the Linn Classik - got any links? You can
always hook up a subwoofer using the amplifier outputs - it's just not
the best sounding approach.

Lots of interesting info, I appreciate you taking the time to write it. I remember not being able to afford a BC Rich back then. I picked up a Gibson WRC that turned out to be a Charvel lawsuit guitar. Still have it from about 1987? I don't play much anymore but when I do, I reach for one of my Schons. Great guitar if you can find one, getting kind of tough.

The best, Pete

Pete,

Those Schons are sweet! From what I understand, they were built by Grover Jackson and are top quality. Today's Jacksons are made by Fender, which isn't really a bad thing. Quality control is awesome, and if it weren't for Fender, Jackson would be no more. Don't feel the same about Charvel, and the prices Fender is selling them for, not to mention Eddie Van Halen putting his endorsement on them to justify such prices. Wayne Charvel still makes guitars - Wayne Guitars.

Funny, Hamer got bought by Kaman, and they are better than ever. Bernie Rico sells BC Rich, and they haven't been the same since.

I'd say get the Heresy III first to see if you think the bottom is there... then decide on a sub. I had my '75 Heresys for 30 years and they never let me down (didn't know what I was missing until I got La Scalas). Seriously, for a limited space and budget the Heresys rule - you might like them without a sub.

Now about guitars, I have three:

My camping beater - an old Sigma DM-28 (japaneese Martin) from the early eighties, sound and plays better than the two real Martin branded guitars I've played

My stage performance guitar - '87 Strat Plus in rare Sea Foam with rosewood fret board, noisless, extremely playable, great tone, twang, and snap.

My new guitar - Ibanez Artcore AF75 - very nice 16" archtop, . Of all the archtops I played (some way more expensive) this one sounded deep and bluesy, excellent guitar - sounds like a real jazz box now that I put some huge flatwound strings on it- played it on stage only once so far, sounded incredible and a delight to play. Ibanez got this one right. And it is as beautiful as it sounds.

The Strat Plus was a wonderful guitar - too bad Fender discontinued it. The Lace Sensor pickups were great; an overall kick butt axe.

Your Ibanez is very nice. Again, great bang for the buck. I used to play my instructor's George Benson model. Sounded great through a Fender Twin.

• Moderators

when I was in school back in the late 60's and early 70's every guy played the guitar, some good, most not so good - but absolutely all us played to some degree. Is it my imagination or do not as many young guys play guitar these days?

Actually, guitar playing must be making a comeback. My 14 year old nephew recently took up guitar and said that a lot of kids are "getting into the guitar". He also said that a lot of the "kids in school" have "bands" and "they practice in their garages" and sometimes "one of them may get a

"gig"". I asked, "What kind of gig?" He said, you know "like school stuff, birthday parties, you know that kinda thing."

That sure sounds familiar.[:D]

In my 35 years of lead guitar playing I have used dozens of pedals, rack effects, digital effects processers, board effects,etc. Now all I use is an expensive guitar chord - I can get almost any "effect" straight out of my hands, I even gave up using a pick completely in the last year - pretty threatening for a lead guitarist, but I recommend it strongly for rock, blues, and jazz. It's hard to do but sounds fantastic when you finally figure it out. Now it is second nature to me and I would never go back. I'm lucky to be in Texas - the rock, blues. jazz thing is still real strong and popular here and that's what I like to play.

Put those Heresys on the floor in the corners toed in 45 degrees - they will thump for "classic" rock (no synth bass or 5, 6, 7 string electric basses). To hear the very bottom of "modern" music you may need the sub - but try without first, you may be pleasantly surprised.

• Moderators

when I was in school back in the late 60's and early 70's every guy played the guitar, some good, most not so good - but absolutely all us played to some degree. Is it my imagination or do not as many young guys play guitar these days?

I couldn't resist reposting this one either. Photo courtesy of Colter Photography:

post-20052-13819321344966_thumb.jpg

Maybe it's because the music they listen to have no musical instruments.......................