Getting the urge to change

theplummer

Hey all,

For the last 7 years, I've been running my HT with an Academy center, Flanked by Chorus I's, with Heresy II's for rears, with a SW10II. Pretty good, but always lacking in the center duties.

Recently I've managed to snag a pair of Forte I's, WAF wanted the Forte's up front, their smaller, good match with the Academy's, moved the Chorus's to the rears and the Heresy's went to the weight room.

I still yearn for improved Center, without spending the bucks.

Has anyone put a stronger center, Say a chorus, as a center flanked by Forte's, or should I use the Heresy's for the mains with the Forte's to the rear. I've convinced WAF that I could take the Center off the top of the Sony XBR 36" CRT, and place a Chorus on its side between the stand and the television. I'd just use the leftover Academy and the other leftover speaker as my weightroom speakers for now. I'm concerned that I'd be going too much in the other direction (the Chorus would be too much for either the Forte's or the Heresy's as mains.

Anybody got any thoughts.

• Moderators

By far the best move would be to find another Chorus or Forte for the center, keep the front 3 matching. IMHO, It has worked for many here including me ![;)] Like more and more are saying " There's nothing like a perfect match " , . I know the Academy is good, BUT you will hear a big difference, guaranteed.

THanks,Dtel,

I'd love to have three matching speakers across the front, but, for now, I need to hold back.

Two reasons......One, I've just spent the playmoney on the new Forte's (bought them from a high school buddy, so I probably shouldn't consider a trade anywhere, for now).......Two, We're one spec. house away from begining our dream home with a dedicated 30'X57' media/game room. Plans there call for Khorns and Belle's. Kinda sensles to spend more for a style speaker i'm not going to be using for too much longer.

My main reason for asking is simple. I'd kind of like to pull from this experience before I go tearing into my current HT as that Sony weighs 230 lbs. To me the most logical arrangement woud be Chorus/Heresy/Chorus fronts, backed up by the Forte's in the rear. WAF refuses to allow a Heresy in the Academy position (something about the cabinet being too big and looking stupid setting on the televison). In speaking to her though, she thinks that one of the larger speakers, Chorus or Forte, on its side under the television would accomplish two things.....One, it would raise the television high enough that the trycicle motors won't be disturbing the viewing while they play in the foreground.......Two, this would re-enforce the lacking center by providing full range to the center and lower the center putting the three fronts on the same horizontal plane.

My biggest concern is as follows. I'm complaining about the center being weak now, if I install the Forte as center with Chorus's as mains, I'm probably going to have the same problem as the efficiency difference is significant and will still want for more center. If I install a Chorus as a center, flanked by Forte's, I may have just the opposite, too much center. If I install the Chorus as a center with Heresy's as mains, I could miss too much lower end on the front to be happy.

I've already tried adjusting the gains from front to rears between the Chorus/Forte combo and honestly, there's not enough adjustment to balance the two very well. The efficiency difference is fairly significant.

Ah, Heck, Maybe I should just leave it like i've got it until the new build.

I Just can't decide. I love them all, but for different reasons.( kinda like my kids)

I am using a Chorus I as a center in between some klf-10s. Although the combo is not ideal, it's only temporary until i hunt down a good deal on another pair of Chorii. The chorus as a center is real nice. I have had a C7 and an Academy recently and it just blows them away. The sound on dialogue is real natural sounding - it's almost effortless. I'd recommend it, put it between those fortes [:)]

Thanks Leerocker,

Just looking at the numbers, The KLF10 has the exact same specs as the Forte I Minus 50watt max input (big deal). Seems like your experience is exactly what I'm looking for.

Is your Chorus standing vertical, or have you laid it on its side, If on its side do you notice an Off axis dispersion problem due to the horns turned 90 degrees.

Also are you using a CRT, I ask due to magnetic fields. I have a Sony XBR CRT that the Chorus reak Havoc on when used as mains. I have a set of Bucking magnets for a Heresy that I havn't installed yet, and wonder if they could be used effectively on the Chorus I's.