ICE BUILD-UP QUESTION FOR YOU YANKEE

Gilbert

Jay,

You stated ???Aluminum corrodes???

I gave you an example that shows it does corrode. A common example. There are many others.

That the purpose of the corrosion is for protection is immaterial.

That it does not corrode "in regular usage" is irrelevant.

The fact is it can corrode.

- Jim

I think you don't like to hear things that go against your beliefs.

Jay, it is apparent you are a very bright guy and you make many valuable contributions to this forum, but please don't form opinions about me based on the minimal contact we've had here.

"That the purpose of the corrosion is for protection is immaterial."

I was stating that yes aluminum oxidizes and forms a protective barrier. It is truthful and fully material to understanding how aluminum does not corrode

The protection that was referring to was the protection of the water heater. This was your quote - "note that was for protecting purposes not the fact that aluminum corrodes". Please re-read your original reply to me, in that reply it sounds like you were referring to this part of my original post - " A sacrificial anode, or sacrificial rod, is a metallic anode used in a cathodic protection where it is intended to be dissolved to protect other metallic components."

"That it does not corrode "in regular usage" is irrelevant."

Sure it is. Its like trying use a different tool for something it was not designed for. Its like trying to set metal on fire to use as a fuel, yes some metals do go on fire and produce more energy than imputed but certainly you would not want to use metals as fuels. You need to understand relavence and how it works in everyday life.

Geez did I insult you or something? Was I rude? Why would you be so presumptuous as to tell me that I need to understand the workings of everyday life? We are having a dialog about aluminum here, at least I thought we were. I say aluminum corrodes, I gave examples. Others have said the same. You say it doesn't. Can we have the discussion without the snide comments?

- Jim

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ok, sorry I do apologies. I took your comment different from how you meant it.

The waterheater was as I read a protective material to the water heater. I read it in a way of galvanizing or using other metals to coat the base metal to prevent corrosion. Also water heaters have the same problem as the car radiator with a mixture of different metals causing corrosions. I believe copper, and iron can fight each other for instance.

Also I dunno, alot of people always dislike aluminum etc etc. The funny thing is people say I dislike aluminum but I like aircraft grade aluminum. There is not difference in grade of aluminum other than pure or not. Steel and iron is different due to the carbon content. I think people get caught up in the aluminum cans being weak etc that people dislike aluminum. I find it to be a nice metal (sorta in the element chart its actually some other class that percludes me right now) but also another funny tibit is aluminum has better electrical and heat conducting properties than any other metal per mass. Meaning if mass is crucial (say something in tyhe aerospace realm) it would be better to use aluminum then copper for heat distribution.

Sorry to hear and see all about your problems with that, what did you call it?, ... ice? I washed my car yesterday wearing a tee shirt, weather was overcast and I almost broke a sweat, very nice. Then I put in in the garage because it was about to rain.

I read a story about a fellow that tried to clear the ice off of his driveway by pouring gasoline all over it and lighting it up... seems that the heat melted the ice on the surface and formed a little river of happy burning gasoline that proceeded down the driveway, around the curb to his neighbor's home and burned it down.