DTS Help!

Danartdis

Ok guys I will try to be brief. I have a HK 500 and the dvd player is JVC XV525. I have watched The Matrix and Shrek so far and they sound awesome in Dolby Digital. When I have tried to select DTS the HK does not switch. Last night and this morning I started fiddling with settings on the dvd's menus. When I checked the digital audio output settings, it seemed correct at"stream/pcm". Next I switched the Down Mix from "Lo/Ro" to "Lt/Rt" and voila the HK would allow DTS play. So I begin listening to Shrek this morning(since I cant find the DTS logo on the Matrix DVD), in DTS and guess what? I am getting sound from right front, center and sub only. Suggestions?

quote:

Originally posted by Danartdis:

Ok guys I will try to be brief. I have a HK 500 and the dvd player is JVC XV525. I have watched The Matrix and Shrek so far and they sound awesome in Dolby Digital. When I have tried to select DTS the HK does not switch. Last night and this morning I started fiddling with settings on the dvd's menus. When I checked the digital audio output settings, it seemed correct at"stream/pcm". Next I switched the Down Mix from "Lo/Ro" to "Lt/Rt" and voila the HK would allow DTS play. So I begin listening to Shrek this morning(since I cant find the DTS logo on the Matrix DVD), in DTS and guess what? I am getting sound from right front, center and sub only. Suggestions?

Why do you want to listen to it in DTS rather than in Dolby Digital Surround? I thought DDS was superior?

Danart-

The Matrix does not have DTS coding, only the DD. Not sure about Shrek. I don't know much about your receiver or DVD, but I assume at least one of them can support DTS encoding? I don't know why you would only be getting from the front trio and sub.

Max-

Don't worry, we were all newbies at one time. There are lots of debates as to which is better, DD vs. DTS. DTS has less compression, so, theoretically, it should be a better format. However, that doesn't take into account the actual recording. I haven't tried a DD vs. DTS faceoff yet. U-571 has both, so someday when I have time, I'll check it out.

dts is technically and sonically better.

not by much in the majority of cases, but it is better.

unless of course you take into account that it leaves less space for additional features. take Saving Private Ryan for example: the dd version has more special features than the dts version, which of course sounds better.

it depends on your priorities i guess!

Boa-

OK, thanks for the heads-up. I'll try that sometime when I have a few hours. Granted, it won't be blind either, but hopefully I'll be able to tell a difference.

Congrats to the 'clones on the win last night. Nice to be in a sports season where I can root for the home team.

Aside from having to check the DVD player settings, you will probably also have to go into the audio setup from the main menu of the movie and specify DTS over DD. Most movies default to DD 5.1.

Then again, maybe your DVD player or reciever is hosed. Try another DVD player on the H/K, or take your DVD player to a buddies house and try it out on his reciever.

-Rich

Yeah, the AZ win was pretty impressive. I thought the Wake game was closer than it needed to be, especially with the 50% FT percentage. Uggh, almost as bad as Shaq. Well, here is to practice from the foul line.

Yeah, I saw the new football coach at the Wake game. He is kinda large, but sounds like he could turn around the program. We certainly need it. Tell your tiger G/F that old Norm Stewart needs a new comb-over. Smile.gif