LaScala Project, with Peavey SP-1 consolation

ClaudeJ1

I'm working on a 4-Way LaScala using just the Bass Bins, 511B/902-8b Altec (which will be replaced by a German Tractrix--400hz spherical), JBL 2404's and Bass Reflex bins as 25-100hz subs with an electronic crossover for the whole thing. I will be using 4th order Linkwitz Riley filtering with a sub 25 Hz Highpass filter.

In the mean time, the SP-1's from Peavey have a Large (FH-1) La Scala-like bottom with a big molded plastic horn on top which sounds DAMN good as a 2-way in my 30x50 foot photo studio. I'm driving it with a cheap $50 DVD player from Wal-Mart and a Sonic Impact $30 chip amlifier. It plays amazingly loud, so it must be over 105 db efficiency.....amazing to listend to while I assemble the rest of the components over the next few months.

Has anyone done anything like this with a passive OR active crossover? I plan on using a couple of Hafler DH-220's on the LaScala Bins and the Subwoofer cabs. The treble highpass and midrange lowpass crossovers will be passive (smallest/cheapest components of highest quality) with the active portion driving the bottom end of the mid though the little Sonic Impact amp, since the bass demands most of the power anyhow. I may upgrade to a more sophisticated digital filter/eq. control later on since those units can be had relatively inexpensively. With the advent of cheap and good quality power amps, I don't know why someone would spend over $1,000 on passive crossovers with their limited controls over the sound.

I'm open to other opinions backed by good theory, facts and experience here.

Claude

post-22904-1381932150321_thumb.jpg

Oh yeah, that Peavey is a real good speaker. FH-1 has good build quality with the big brace and corner reflectors. FH-1s work well with K-33s.

Mine has the original Black Widow 4 ohm driver. I guess it's really a beefy driver. What would a K-33 do in it's place? Smoother, lower frequency? I got an FH1 on Ebay I will pick up in 5 weeks, with no driver in it. Should I get a K33 instead of a Peavy driver for it??? My application is not loud PA for a band, but more Hi Fi.

Claude

I have a pair of FH-1s with OEM Peavey woofers. I built a
custom crossover to mate a 511B/902-8B to it and the results are quite
good. I don't have any hard data, yet, but listening is great and
the one Live performance I used them at sounded great.

I
helped my brother find a setup just like yours, with a 22XT HF
driver. He uses them as a PA for his kids' band. I designed
him a crossover around 650 Hz. The 22XT sounds muffled.

The
1504-4 produces a lot of harmonic distortion. A lot more than a
K-33 in a La Scala and it's very obvious listening to them. For
home use, I'd run K-33s. For loud PA use, I'd try K-43s.

I dunno how to word this well, but there's been a lot of mention of Peavey lately....did/do they actually make quality products? Everything Peavey I've run into has been utter crap...[^o)]

I think these FH-1 (La Scala-like bass bin) and SP-1 (FH-1 + 500Hz CD horn on top with titanium 1" driver that goes to 18Khz) were made 20 years ago. Since the PA industry has gone to modular arrays for big concerts and smaller, cheaper, 2-way, self-powered, molded spkeakers on stands (12 or 15" bass reflex woofers with horns molded into the plastic cabinets) are now the norm for DJ's, there's no market for the older stuff anymore. Everyone seems to want to reduce WEIGHT and size (same story as wives wanting "those cute little Bose speakers) in all fields of sound reproduction. These big ol' Peavy's have gone the way of the old Muscle Cars of the 60's I guess. But my first impression is (don't know for sure) that these are quality units, that probably sold for a lot less than others at the time.

FH-1's can be had for about $100-125/cabinet plus shipping (which can be almost as much as the purchase price), including the 4 ohm, heavy duty Black Widow 15" woofer. So it's a lotta "woof" for the buck.

I got my SP-1's on Ebay for $350 a pair. That's like a black, rugged, 2-way, LaScala imitation, if you will. I just hooked them up to an old Marantz (free) surround sound receiver in Stereo Mode. Admittedly the low bass is weak compared to the top section. However just pushing the "loudness" bass compensation button on the receiver turn the thing into a kickass mode for "disco" sound. I used an old "Swing out Sister" CD and Chick Corea's Electric Band as test recordings.

I have not peeked inside yet, but I presume the passive crossover has Constant Directivity Horn compensation built in, because I was amazed at how broadly dispersed the highs were on this SP-1. The crossover reads "Precision Transducer."

I will be comparing this to real LaScala Bass Bins with K33's soon, as I just won Altec 500Hz. Crossovers for my mint 511b's and 902 drivers. We shall see. I'm hoping to get an active network since I have several new Sonic Impact Amps for the highs and used MosFET Hafler DH-220's for the lows laying around and not worth selling on Ebay.

Lest you think of me as a traitor, I own so many Klipsch speakers (computers too), it's almost not sane relative to normal people in society (like many here, methinks). But, as much as anyone here, I wanna make the nicest noise possible when I listen to reproduced music, eh? We just all need bigger rooms!!

Claude

I

The

I'll be using my 511/902's with Altec Xover and LaScala bass bins with K33's. You say they sound great on one hand, then you say they produce a lot of harmonic distortion. Did you try a K33 or 43 in the FH-1 cab and A/B the difference or did you measure?

Unconfuse me please. What would be the advantage of K43's for loud PA use? Those are 8 ohm drivers, so I'm not sure they would perform the same as the 4 ohm K33's or the Black Widow 4 ohms, which, I presume we designed FOR the FH1 cab.

Claude

I

The

I'll

be using my 511/902's with Altec Xover and LaScala bass bins with

K33's. You say they sound great on one hand, then you say they produce

a lot of harmonic distortion. Did you try a K33 or 43 in the FH-1 cab

and A/B the difference or did you measure?

Unconfuse

me please. What would be the advantage of K43's for loud PA use? Those

are 8 ohm drivers, so I'm not sure they would perform the same as the 4

ohm K33's or the Black Widow 4 ohms, which, I presume we designed FOR

the FH1 cab.

Claude

Your

information is different from mine. The K-43 is a 4 ohm driver

rated at 250 watts vs. 100 for the K-33. Its Fs is a little

higher than a K-33, but matters not in a short bass horn like an FH-1

or La Scala. They were the factory woofer installed in Klipsch

LSIs, the Pro La Scala. Freddyi measured the distortion of a K-33