Going to Chicago...for a while

sheltie dave

I have been holding out hope for the last three years that a permanent job would pop up locally, but a combination of short term jobs and no health insurance forced my hand. I'll be heading up to Chicago this coming weekend to take a six month position(with additional six month option, and a strong possibility for transiting to a permanent government slot) at Argonne National Labs just south of Chicago. Hopefully this will mean I can visit some of the Chicago-land Klipsch owners(Smiling, Silversport, etc.) and get a chance to satisfy my Klipsch jones now and then.

I have tried in vain to find an extended stay hotel with good corners, so I won't be taking a system up with me. I'll try to induce Carl, Henry, or CaptnBob to caretake our Blueberry/VRDs combo. With a very energetic 4 year old boy, I figure it best to amputate these from the main system and transplant a Marantz 2230 receiver. Kinda limit the possible damage, in a proactive way... Gotta run for now.

"More than one Bobaks?"

Yeah Pete, there's one out in Burr Ridge at I-55 and County Line Rd.

"There is giant one less than a mile from me on Archer Ave."

Yeah, I was in there once, down around Cicero or Crawford Ave right? You know the Corona tavern at 47th and Crawford? Good lookin' Polish barmaids in there as of a couple of years ago, good working man's lunch too.

My favorite Polish restaurant is the Red Apple up on Milwaukee Ave. near Devon.

No Polish joints here in Lexington, no Bohemian, no Jewish, no good Italian. We have Waffle Houses though and one excellent steakhouse.

Yeah, when us boilermakers worked outages at Crawford Station we'd hit the local taverns for lunch. The Gin Mill was good but it's gone. We'd head over to the Home Run Inn too, I remember when it was just a tavern that sold pizzas. My Dad would drive over from our house at Madison and Austin to get pizzas there.

You can tell that was a long time ago eh, when Irish lived on Madison St.

You can tell that was a long time ago eh, when Irish lived on Madison St. Too funny:)

You certainly know this area well. When I was a teenager I dated a gal whose father owned the hardware store right by the original Home Run Inn on 31st street. They built a sweet one on Archer and Austin a couple years ago. I get carry outs a couple times a month. If you ever start getting withdrawals I think I could figure out a way to send a pie your way. How about some White Castles as well?