Can I leave a powered sub plugged in 24/7?

Poormana

I need to put my powered sub about 10 feet from the amp and the power cord isn't long enough to reach the receiver. There is an outlet nearby that I could leave it plugged into, but I don't want to damage/overheat/waste electricity by leaving it plugged in all the time. Do they use juice when they are not activated? Does it hurt them to leave them plugged in all day and night? I can extend the power cord to go into the crawlspace and get to the amp if I have to, but that seems like work to me....

Opinions?

By the way, if you've seen my other posts, the KSF-S5's cleaned up beautifully! Now I just need to figure out which paint to use on my new (to me) KG 5.2's.

Thanks to all who have knowledge to share,

Andy

I've left my sub on 24/7 for 10 years now with no worries (1 issue though - see below). I'm sure this isn't news here but most subs have a auto-shut off mode so they turn themselves off when they don't get a signal. 

As an aside, I've noticed an occasional hum coming from my sub lately. It seems to cycle on every 3-5 minutes and it lasts about 5 seconds. Its hardly noticeable except during quiet moments but its beginning to bother me. This doesn't sound like a grounding problem and up to this point I've accepted it as something to expect from a +10 year old sub but if someone has any ideas for a fix - I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks in advance 

I've left my SVS sub plugged in and turned on ever since I got it a few months ago. No problems at all.

Also, I personally would rather plug the sub directly into the wall than into the receiver. The receiver's outlets might not be rated to draw that much extra power.

Yeah, thats what I was thinking too. Also, does anyone know if it makes a difference which side of the surge protector I plug my Sub into? I have the Monster Power 1000 MKII and there are 4 outlets on each side. I think one side is for audio and one is for video but im not sure, and one side is all filled up. This wont matter right?