Wire management!!!!!!!

merkin

Any good systems or contraptions or such for the mess of wires behind my rack. My rack is open so all of the inter conects, speaker wires, componet, composite, and HDMI oh my. Let alone power cords and coax cable with the surge protector. Can they be wound, can they be looped or can they be figure eighted. Need to straighten up a little even though I'm a function over form guy.

If you go forward on tying them up, recommend running your power lines down one side and your signal lines down the other side.   Some inter-connect wires are more prone to noise from power lines than others.  Not an issue for optical.

I used to use wire ties, but every time I had to move something I had to clip them all off and start over. Then I tried wire loom, but the number of wires and varied thickness' made that a mess too. I'd suggest computer wire loops, they are nylon straps with velcro ends so they can be reused. If you have many heavy cables, you may want to try a wire run attached to the back of the rack to take some of the hanging weight off of the connectors at the components to avoid breakage. Here's a site with many choices to help you get started looking: http://cableorganizer.com/

Best of Luck!

I agree with keeping power seperate from the rest. Some auto parts houses and some electronic supply stores offer that black (possibly other colors are available) of wire loom. It is like a flexable plastic tube that is split down the side so you can slip your wires into it. Another version is a plastic spiral that you wind around the wires. Good luck!

I agree with keeping power seperate from the rest. Some auto parts houses and some electronic supply stores offer that black (possibly other colors are available) of wire loom. It is like a flexable plastic tube that is split down the side so you can slip your wires into it. Another version is a plastic spiral that you wind around the wires. Good luck!

That's a good idea. The cables I bought from Bluejeans came with something similar & it really helps.

Any good systems or contraptions or such for the mess of wires behind my rack. My rack is open so all of the inter conects, speaker wires, componet, composite, and HDMI oh my. Let alone power cords and coax cable with the surge protector. Can they be wound, can they be looped or can they be figure eighted. Need to straighten up a little even though I'm a function over form guy.

The best product I have found is Panduit Wire Duct.

http://www.panduit.com/search/search_results.asp?N=5000001+1011&Ne=1&region=USAΝ=P_RollupKey

I use the bigger sized black convoluted tubing, I believe thats what they call it, same thing Cal is talking about....does good job...........

• 2 weeks later...