COLTS on HDTV

colterphoto1

~10 miles to the antennas for NBC, CBS, and FOX - so I probably did not even need to go for an amplified antenna.

However, the antennaweb site is good for helping you figure out just what you might need to get OTA HD - i.e., depending on how far away you are, you may need to go to a rooftop antenna, instead of just hanging a little box in the media closet (like I got away with).

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Miachael.... all you need is a HDTV with a tuner... or if you have a projector.. a HD box from comcast or I guess you can buy a radio shack HDTV tuner with a antennea...to hook it up to your projector.. But what is your native on your projector anyhow?

Wow... hello Mike I am right here...

Miachael.... all you need is a HDTV with a tuner... or if you have a projector.. a HD box from comcast or I guess you can buy a radio shack HDTV tuner with a antennea...to hook it up to your projector.. But what is your native on your projector anyhow?

The Canon 7105 is native XGA which is 720- Steve P says it's ok for DTV, but perhaps not in the HDTV category. It's way huger than my 36" set though!

The Canon 7105 is native XGA which is 720- Steve P says it's ok for DTV, but perhaps not in the HDTV category. It's way huger than my 36" set though!

Thanks for that link FD- The map and directions show that my mains stations are right within a few degrees of each other!

I've got a couple calls out for the tuner, so should be set! I'll experiment this weekend- Indy you should stop by Sunday late afternoon if you can.

M

not to mention how neat it is to just put up a conventional coax TV antenna and pull down 5.1 DD + HD OTA.

The OTA HD picture quality is astoundingly good - between that and surround crowd noise, I'm a believer.

Just watching the playoffs on our new 52" LCD made my wife really happy we got it - right up until the Patriots could not pull off yet another miracle.

Look at LCD in addition to plasma. I think LCD will be the future....(for the next 5 years or so)

Michael,

My experience with OTA - HD is that it was very hit or miss. My Mits RPTV has a built-in tuner, and I got it about 3 1/2 yrs ago, I believe. At the time, Comcast did not have a HD signal, as they just rolled out "digital" cable. I bought my TV in the fall, and went for about 3 or 4 months trying different Antennae. I used 3 different inside models, and finally bought a large Terk antennae at BB for about $99, and placed it outside. I am on the NE side of Indy, just inside I-465. It would pull in 1 of 3 network stations consistently, but the other 2 would be inconsistent at best. It's not like the old days when you saw "snow" if the signal was bad. You either got it or you didn't. The picture would sometimes freeze, and othertimes just "go out." Anyway, about January of ?? yr, Comcast rolled out HD boxes ( I had been e-mailing the Comcast reps and they were pretty good about getting me one right away). There initially was sparse programming, but the signal was consistent. I have since ditched my old antennae and never looked back. Although I'm sure you can get it to work, I would not gamble on flawless reception for such a big event as the Colts in the SB, and such a large guest list. I've been reading your posts forever, and its surprised me to hear you were not into the HD signal already. My best advise would be to sign up for Comcast (or whatever cable provider is near you) or Dish, and go that route. I don't think you will be disappointed. Time may be against you now, however.

Good luck, my fellow Klipsch friend.[:)]

ps.Edit: It was fall of '02 that I bought my Mits RPTV and at that time Comcast still had HD in "Beta" testing. It was Jan '03 that they rolled-out their HD boxes to the public.

The setup thus far:

Rotated the entire room 90 degrees.

Front wall is : LS-THX-201-201-THX-LS with 100" diag Draper matte white screen overhead Crown DC300II for the mains. (the KP201's are a moderate-duty Heresy sized cabinet with industrial cabinetry)

then about 4 feet clear space

sofa for three people

Coaster recliners for 4

CW's side surrounds cross firing right behind those with Canon LV7105 projector on stand consisting of 2 KG4's with Heresy on top

Then for rear surround, I have one Heresy on top of a KSW12 for a single full range rear center that will be run as LARGE

outdoors, where the smokers can still see the large screen, will be two HIP Industrial Heresies run off QSC 1400 amp.

What do ya think, should that do the trick?

MY BACK HURTS!

• Moderators

The setup thus far:

Rotated the entire room 90 degrees.

Front wall is : LS-THX-201-201-THX-LS with 100" diag Draper matte white screen overhead Crown DC300II for the mains. (the KP201's are a moderate-duty Heresy sized cabinet with industrial cabinetry)

then about 4 feet clear space

sofa for three people

Coaster recliners for 4

CW's side surrounds cross firing right behind those with Canon LV7105 projector on stand consisting of 2 KG4's with Heresy on top

Then for rear surround, I have one Heresy on top of a KSW12 for a single full range rear center that will be run as LARGE

outdoors, where the smokers can still see the large screen, will be two HIP Industrial Heresies run off QSC 1400 amp.

What do ya think, should that do the trick?

MY BACK HURTS!

So Colter exactly where is the nine member dtel clan supposed to sit for the Superbowl?[;)]

you need to take some pics

don't forget to rerun or bypass the YPAO thing with the new config (as it will change drastically).

Yup, got the Yammie on Graphic EQ and Flat.

Running the CW rears as LARGE and also the KSW12/Heresy in the rear center. That took a bit of doing to get setup, turns out I had the software configured correctly, but was set for ONE rear center and was plugged into amp ch 7, it was sending out ch 6. Sounds GREAT

Indy was over just now and helped me with some tweaks, we listened to some Peter Gabriel, the THX opening of Nemo, and it's fantastic. Channel 8 comes in pretty well over the rabbit ears so if I don't get the DTV setup it'll be ok. The Canon PJ is about the same contrast, density, and color as the Sony 36" so having them both running will be super cool!

I'll try to get some pix up later.

In the Speaker Set menu (where you say Lg/Sm, Sub or not, etc.),there is an option to toggle Rear Surrounds RSx1 or RSx2. So I set to x1, set that channel to Large, output from amp#6 to Ksw12 with high levels, xover at 80, then output to Rear Heresy. Sounds GREAT.

I've still got to find a DTV tuner- anyone know a good source? Best Buys didn't have any in their system- but they did show a $300 unit from Panasonic I think. I guess that's less that one year of Cable, right?

Or does anyone out there have a 'set-top box' tuner they're not using any more? This would be the type of unit you might have had if you were tuning in Digital TV and sending to an early screen without the built-in tuner. Surely there must be some lying about?

M

"Accelerating the tuner mandate deadlines
for all sets would have the unfortunate result of decreasing the number
of DTV tuners in the marketplace, which clearly does not further the
goals of the Commission nor the goals of the DTV transition as a
whole," said CEA President and CEO Gary Shapiro. "By contrast, the
current and anticipated July 2007 date allows time for economies of
scale to develop fully. This will lessen the sticker shock for
consumers, allowing these products a chance to compete against less
expensive, tuner-less alternatives."

No wonder a good unit is difficult to find. I'm seeing prices in the $699 category from Samsung. Maybe I just need to spring for a new HDTV setup?

I think I found it. And it's SAMSUNG

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JV6TQY/ref=olp_product_details/102-5851381-1721712?ie=UTF8&seller=

Your thoughts please? I still have a very good quality 36" Sony and 27" Mitsu TV's as well as my Canon PJ- none of which has Digital tuner on board. I know I'll still spring for a panel display eventually, but why not take advantage of digital for now, right? Or is this another case of Michael clinging on to outdated technology?

If and when I get LCD/Plasma panel, will I be able to use their tuners for terrestrial DTV, or will this tuner still be needed with them?