Ok, a dumb question

PoppaPump

Okay, someone feel free to slap me. I'm trying to hook up my F-3s with 16 gauge AR wire through banana connectors and im having some trouble figuring out what to do with the wire. So I unscrew the middle part of the connector, run the wire through... and then what? I dont know if im suppose to separate the strands of wire back aross the opening or what. Also, does it matter if the white soft center part of the wires is showing and coming through? Sorry newb questions i know...

When you unscrew the speaker terminals all the way, you should notice a hole going through the shaft. You thread the wire through this hole (much like threading a needle) and then clamp it down by screwing the terminal down on the wire. You'll find it much easier if you twist the strands of wire together making them as compact as possible.

As far as the non conducting fibres in the cable, you'll want to trim them off, leaving only 1/2" of copper wire sticking out of the jacket.

If you're going to be unplugging the speakers often, then you might want to invest in banana jacks...they're much easier to work with.

So I unscrew the middle part of the connector, run the wire through... and then what? I dont know if im suppose to separate the strands of wire back aross the opening or what. Also, does it matter if the white soft center part of the wires is showing and coming through? Sorry newb questions i know...

Yes do exactly what you were thinking. Unscrew the banana clip and separate the strands back across the opening and screw back together the banana clip. I don't know about the "white soft center part of the wire" Maybe someone else can answer that one for you.

James

Go down to Radio Shack and get some of these.

It lets you thread thick wire.  Then just snap then in.  No risk of amplifier shorts due to frayed wire that gets loose if wrapped around the binding terminal, or from a wire hair that misses the hole.

post-22082-1381932163731_thumb.jpg

Except the metal screws on the back of those plugs will short your amplifier if they touch...[^o)]

The Radio Shack ones come in pairs, in molded plastic, impossible to short out.