Mr. Songer, Thorens question

coltrane

Hello Mr. Songer,

I know that you are the Thorens expert in these here parts and I would like to ask your opinion on the TD 135. I know it's an Idler wheel like you 124 and I was wondering if it was comparable to yours. Also, what would be a reasonable price for one in very good/excellent shape?

Thank You

Coltrane

I have never owned one, but it's supposed to have the same motor and drive mechanism as the TD-124, simplified (two speeds?). The platter isn't as heavy, etc. Should be a nice basis for an idler wheel project. It has what looks to be a somewhat crappy intregal tonearm, but you can ditch later if you need to!!!

I'd like to find a TD-111--essentially a TD-135 with no arm--for a little idler wheel project for my office system!

Price? I dunno. Maybe $250?

TD-135:

TThorens%20TD-135.jpg

TD-111:

Thorens%20TD-111.jpg

The 135 is a great table.

It has a lighter platter (without the extra aluminum platter and clutch mechanism of the 124) and a slightly smaller bearing but I really like the Thoren/emt arm and if I remember correctly, it has an autostop option.

Thanks, Guy. It kinda LOOKED like an EMT "junior" arm, but I had no idea it was any good!!! Well, then--I gues the advice would be to BUY the thing!

I suppose this arm will work with an EMT or SPU cartridge?