its on its way home to daddy!!

montigue

I finally did it. I ordered the SVS 20-39 last friday and i cant' wait to hug it and squeeze it. My Klipsch KG 5.2's are going to be so happy when they see the new member of the family. It's gonna be a kodak moment!

I will send you guys a pick of my awesome system, I am very proud of it indeed. I started putting it together about 2 years ago and with the addition of the sub it will be complete.

Can anyone recommend an amp for the SVS (around $100). I would appreciate any advise at all.

Monty aka montigue

WHERE KG SERIES LIVE

Klipcsh KG 5.2 mains

Klipsch KG 2.2 rears

Klipsch KG 2.2 rear center

klipsch C-7 center

Sony Wega 36' flat screen

Sony DVD DTS player

Sony HI-FI VCR

Harmon Kardon AVR 65

SVS 20-39CS subwoofer

This message has been edited by montigue on 12-05-2001 at 03:38 AM

Snap!!! Well Almost.

Substitute your SVS 20-39 for my REL Strata 3 which is coming tonight and we are in business!!!

Just dont ask how I got it - I didnt buy it!!

Actually a friend bought it last night to go with his KLF30's. He recons the KLF's have more bass than the sub - so I am taking it from him as my Heresy's definitely do not.

What a bizzare day!!

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

2 * Homemade horn speakers (rears)

Accuphase E211 amp.

Tube monoblocks with separate pre-amp (solid state).

Marantz CD6000 player

Sony NS900 SACD/DVD player

Stax Headphones

Humax 5400 digital satellite receiver

Sharp Video

32" Sony flat screen 16:9 TV

Mogami interconnects

Silver Synergistic speaker cable

maxg

congrats!!! I am sure you'll like your new sub.

Let us know how it works with your Heresys.

Wolfram

------------------

Without music colour becomes pallor, man becomes carcass, home becomes catacomb - Edgar Allan Poe

system:

1973 Khorns with ALK crossovers

REL Stadium II sub

Cayin 743 D integrated tube amp

McIntosh Mc 2105

McIntosh C 29

McIntosh MR 77

McIntosh MCD 7007

Thorens 520S

SME 3012-R

Ortofon SPU Classic GM E

Cyrus aEQ 7 phono stage with PSX-R power supply

Alternative speakers:

Quad ESL 63

Dubai,

Thanks - it arrived last night - up and running form the box in 11 minutes flat (wife timed me) LOL.

Its incredible - took a few minutes to set an acceptable for now volume level/crossover combination (approx just under half volume and crossover at 72 Hz) and to place in the alcove next to my fireplace.

I had to place the unit there to stop the bass signal appearing to arrive before the speaker - in other words it is physically behind the speakers - about 3 feet further from my listening position. This thing is so fast and clean!!!

Cant imagine a better match for the Heresy than this. Sealed unit definitely the way to go - blows my old KSW10 out of the window.

Most playing so far at low volumes. One blast test and it certainly packs a punch!!

Deliriously happy so far with my choice - will update when I have had chance to listen more.

Thanks for all your help and input!!

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

Accuphase E211 amp.

Marantz CD6000 player

Stax Headphones

Sharp Video

Mogami interconnects

maxg,

I am glad you like your new sub. I agree that REL subs are quite good (though as I've said before, I wouldn't mind trying an SVS one day!).

Just one more thing: I've read somewhere in TAS that older REL subs extend their cut-off frequency to quite an extent. As an example the author quoted a crossover frequency for the sub of around 30Hz though he had combined it with a set of Quad ESL 63 which hardly have an output below 50Hz. You notice that I am no technician and might not have chosen the proper technical terms, but it might be worth experimenting with a lower crossover setting on yout sub. It could well be that with the Series 3 models REL has done something about this roll off characteristic (TAS wrote something like this, but I don't recall the model).

Anyway, enjoy the musicWink.gif!!!

Wolfram

------------------

Without music colour becomes pallor, man becomes carcass, home becomes catacomb - Edgar Allan Poe

system:

REL Stadium II sub

McIntosh Mc 2105

McIntosh C 29

McIntosh MR 77

McIntosh MCD 7007

Thorens 520S

SME 3012-R

Ortofon SPU Classic GM E

Alternative speakers:

Quad ESL 63

Dubai,

Interesting issue - actual roll off. May need to re-visit when I get my tubes back. As it is now I have wired the thing up to take all the bass away from the Accuphase/mains so wherever it sets the crossover that is the bottom line of the mains - an ensured match in other words.

I set this totally by ear. As everyone probably knows the Heresy's are not strong on bass. Theoretically they can go down to 50 (personally I doubt it - in my setup anyway) but they start to tail off much higher than that. Even if 72 on the crossover equates to 80 or more in reality I am still getting more bass in this way than from the Heresy's when set to a lower level.

Initial play just seemed to create a whole in the music. I worked up from 22 rather than down from 100 and when I got to the point that sounded right I played about that point with the sensitive control.

Plenty of time for more experimentation but right now I am just revelling in my new sound.

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Marantz CD6000 player

Stax Headphones

Sharp Video

Mogami interconnects

maxg,

I have never been able to listen to the Heresys so I can't comment on your crossover setting. I agree though that setting a sub needs time and experimenting (at least if one does it by ear - which is also the way I've done it). An SPL meter might be more accurate, but after all it's my poor old ears which have to like the sound. And who says that one's taste never changes? Over the years I have lowered the sub's setting from somewhere around 70Hz with my Quads to 28Hz with the Khorns. Hopefully I've also developed some idea which bass sounds best in my living room and I already start wondering how my new listening room (ready in February) will affect the overall sound picture Eyes.gif.

Wolfram

------------------

system:

REL Stadium II sub

McIntosh Mc 2105

McIntosh C 29

McIntosh MR 77

McIntosh MCD 7007

Thorens 520S

SME 3012-R

Ortofon SPU Classic GM E

Alternative speakers:

Quad ESL 63

well i'm not sure about getting a plate amp just yet. In the future i might want to add another 20-39, so that being the case I'll probably go with a two channel amp. I heard Ron talk about a KLH amp you can buy from best buys that works real well with the sub. I just havent been able to find it yet. I found a dealer in Sacramento that sell's the Samson S700 for $339. A good price considering SVS sell's the same one for $389 plus shipping.

Does anyone else have any lead's where I can find an amp new or used to push my SVS 20-39 under $200?

Monty

This message has been edited by montigue on 12-09-2001 at 03:08 PM

one note on the Samson pricing,

if you get the S700 with a single subwoofer...we charge $350 and include a custom bettercables interconnect.

if you get the S700 with dual subwoofers we include the S700 for $301...including the custom cable(that you would normally pay about $35-40 for at bettercables).

TV

The klh amp might be the R 3000 at best buy. It's a stereo receiver that I've seen for $100. I'm not sure because KLH's web site isn't very helpful. I just went with the plate amp since I don't see myself getting 2 SVS's anytime soon, but if I ever do have the money/need for a second SVS, I'm sure I can upgrade to the samson at the same time. By the way, the plate amp does have some exposed electronics so you'd probably want to build a small box for it. I'm going to build it into the back of an entertainment center that I'm building.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be looking forward to hearing your reply. I took back that KLH 3000 to best buy's because it could'nt handle the load the SVS put on it. I was watching Pearl Harbor, and every time a big explosion hit, the amp would just shut down. It also played slow and boomy with that amp, but I could still feel the strength of the SVS sub. It's more powerful than I imagined, even with the poor amp it shook all the walls in my house. If I had good amp I would be affraid to test it's limit's.cwm31.gif

I'm almost there...