Anyone compete/judge in Car Audio?

I've told a bit of the story before. But it fits here.

In the early '70s in college I had a '65 Volvo. It came with an AM radio. Pretty much standard.

A buddy gave a broken Panasonic 8 track with an FM stereo tuner in the form of an 8 track cartridge. So I fixed it up.

Now you may say that is ugly technology but please consider that tapes in cars and FM stereo in cars were fairly new.

I put two 6 X 9s in the rear. Good for bass. (TS parameters were not around back then.) There were some 3 inch drivers available in slant front plastic boxes which got the speakers facing somewhat into the passenger space and those were mounted high on the doors. This aiming is still an issue in autos.

This time was also the start of AOR on FM stations. WNEW in NYC was a leader. Allison Steel, The Night Bird.

Overall, it was a great success.

Things have changed to mega watt thumpers. But some years, autos were good audio projects for young guys. Not too expensive. It was your private space where you could turn up the volume.

Gil

Well I thought $2000 amplifiers were expensive, and $1500 speakers, but then I immersed myself into the signatures of KLIPSCH FORUM members, and am now humbled.

WOW......2-channel hi-end is even WORSE! And Audiogon......OMG, outrageous!

Actually, automotive audio technology has evolved dramatically over the past 15 years. YOU CAN ACHIEVE that same sound if you are willing to do what needs to be done.

I'm with you 100% Roy, I built my system to be clean and for me in the drivers seat[:o] With only a 200 Watt bridged PPI amp on a 10" woof was just the right amount of thump to accompany the two sets of Cerwin Vega seperates in the cabin.

Another thing that really helps is hatchbacks really keep your bass response sweet as the sub cabinets are not trapped like they are in a sedans trunk which really eats a lot of your enterior bass up. Hatch backs are like one big cabinet in themselves[;)]

Speaking of that MAC Audio I still have an excellent factory brochure with all that stuff and if MONY were no object I would have loved to have opened my trunk for friends to expose big MAC amps[:P]

Owned by Fulmer (of Fulmer Helmets) and located in TN......been around for about 6-8 years. Thank you, and it has served me well.

Sad part is, those Mac products are probably worth more than my entire setup INCLUDING car itself (lol)

145.0 db and its done fairly well in the SQ arena also! This vehicle is officially out of competition (retired).