New Reference line vs. the old CF's

phatmac

Back in 1996-1997, I bought a pair of CF2's and the matching KV4, and I have been using them ever since, mainly for home theater. I love the way that the they sound, especially the center channel with its 2 8's. I still believe it's one of the best center channels ever produced, by any company. But now I see that Klipsch has this new reference line out and I am really interested in a pair of RF-83's and the matching RC-64. Unfortunately, no one has the 64 anywhere around here where I can listen to it. I was able to find a dealer that has the 83's but its an hour drive. I plan on going out there at some point. Just wondering if anyone here can shed some light on this for me with a comparison. Thanks a lot

Erik

Hehe. Most likely if I decide to pursue the new line. At one point I was in possession of 4 kv4's. I I was planning on using them for surrounds, but I just sold 2 of them recently on ebay. I also use the other one for my rear center. Total overkill I know [H]

Anybody else know about the older line and new reference line that can help me out with some info?

I owned CF-2s in a home theater for several years. I now own RF-7s and the matching speakers for 7.2.

The CF-2s were easier to drive than the RF-7s. The 7s have an impedance dip to 2.8 ohms which the Rf-83s also have. The impedance dip is due to running the woofers in parallel. With potent amplification, the RF-7s are more detailed and dynamic than the CF-2s.

The new series Rf-83s have a better horn tweeter allegedly and a better mid-range. IMO, the RF-83 need an amp that can drive 2 ohm loads to sound good. Most amps cannot go there and do a good job. Per Ohm's law, when impedance drops in half, twice as much current is required. If the current is not produced, voltage drops and frequency response suffers.

If you get the RF-83s, get a separate amp of at least 200 watts per channel.

Bill

Unfortunately, no one has the 64 anywhere around here where I can listen to it.

I live in Montana, where their's not quite as much traffic in the electronics stores. My local dealer has the RC-64 and I got to listen to it with the RF-63's and 4 RS-62's in a 7.1 setup. I was VERY impressed with the RC-64, man that thing is HUGE though. It almost needs its own stand lol. I was also very impressed with the 63's so I can't imagine how good the 83's are...wish I could hear them :-(

As far as the new reference line, I LOVE mine (I just purchased a set, you can see it in my signature). I had auditioned the older reference stuff and I liked it but I was always one of those "Klipsch speakers are too bright and don't have a mid-range" guys after i heard some of the older reference stuff. Now I own Klipsch reference...need I say more. Klipsch has me for life.

I can't compare them to your setup though, because I haven't had the pleasure of listening to some of those older speakers (My audio addiction began only a few years ago).

I am planning on getting a B&K amp/preamp so I will have 200 watts per channel. I don't think I will have a problem driving any of the speakers. I am also going to be designing a new theater so what a better time to install new speakers. Thats why I am checking out these newer models out, cause if they sound better then my current setup, I will definately be going with them

The B&K reference amp and processor are the type of gear that you need to get the most out of the Klipsch Reference speakers.

My only concern with the RC-64 is comb filtering due to the use of four woofers. If you get a chance to listen to the RC-64, be sure to move off of the center axis part of the time. If there is too much change in sound, it is likely due to comb filtering.

Bill

I have the rf-83 I like them very much.

also mrmcgoo the comb filtering is reduced alot due to what klipsch does. the outside woofers play a certain range while the inner cones do full range of the speaker parameter reducing a lot of comb filtering. This was implimented on the rc-7 somewhat too.

Klipsch Tapered Array technology

operates all of the woofers at the lowest frequencies - maintaining the

high output capability necessary for good center channel performance -

but only two operate all the way through the midrange to where the

tweeter takes over. This eliminates acoustic interference between the

woofer outputs, a flaw in conventional speaker designs that can

severely impair sound quality at the sides of the listening area.

The RC-7 that I have is a tapered array that crosses over from two woofers to one woofer at 550 Hz on up to 1950 Hz. The crossover on the RC-64 from four woofers to two woofers is about twice as high. There may very well be some comb filtering. I still recommend listening off axis and moving during the audition. It is better to be safe than sorry.

Bill

Hi folks, I too have the 83's driven by a Yamaha RX-v2500 rated at 130wpc(more like 50-60 most likely). Ok, so far they sound friggin awesome but I also know they could use alot better amplification, guys where I bought them from said" you haven't even heard them yet". So, after much research I am shortly going to add either an Outlaw Audio 7500(5x200wpc for real) or an Emotiva MPS-1 (5,6,7 channel options x200wpc). Anyone have any thoughts as to what I am going to experience with this upgrade while using my Yamaha as a pre/pro for a temp. solution. I'm thinking its going to be mind blowing.

I have the Rc62 center and it is truly a piece of art in sonic reproduction, and yes I have heard the 64 and its even better, all in good time my friends...lol.

Hi folks, I too have the 83's driven by a Yamaha RX-v2500 rated at 130wpc(more like 50-60 most likely). Ok, so far they sound friggin awesome but I also know they could use alot better amplification, guys where I bought them from said" you haven't even heard them yet". So, after much research I am shortly going to add either an Outlaw Audio 7500(5x200wpc for real) or an Emotiva MPS-1 (5,6,7 channel options x200wpc). Anyone have any thoughts as to what I am going to experience with this upgrade while using my Yamaha as a pre/pro for a temp. solution. I'm thinking its going to be mind blowing.

I have the Rc62 center and it is truly a piece of art in sonic reproduction, and yes I have heard the 64 and its even better, all in good time my friends...lol.

I have that Outlaw, you will uhh..notice the additional power.

Hey Arky, so you really like the Outlaw stuff? Fantastic sound? Details please!...gettin ancy for my new amp

Chris.

Chris, yes Outlaw makes a quality product. I absolutely love their 990 pre. The 7500 is a rebadged ATI, shipped from the same factory. When I added it to my rf-7's It was evident something had changed, for the better. It weighs about 85lbs so be careful. IIRC it shipped out of Washington state.

I've noticed that a lot of people have been asking me if I am going to be selling my old cf2's and kv4s. This makes me wonder if my stuff is still better then the new rf and rc lines. I am skeptical because the woofers are smaller in the rc64 but Klipsch says it plays lower and the speakers have smaller tweeters then the 2 inch that I currently listen too. Has anyone heard both of these lines that could make a definate recommendation? Power will not be a issue as I said because I will have the B&K reference amp at 200 watts/channel. Thankyou for all of the replies so far