Heresy II project

rcarlton

I have a pair of LaScala's that are black. I find them to be boring looking and wanted to jazz them up some. Saw the wonderful thread on the Bubinga LaScala's and was hooked. But...I had not done any veneering at all...read everything I could...and decided to take the plunge. But not with the LaScala's but a pair of 1989 Heresy II's. They were also black, very minor blemishes and not being used. Terrific set to practice on. Even though they were consecutive serial numbers they did not exactly match. One had very easily seen wood grain while the other appeared smooth. Always bugged me.

post-18740-13819321981512_thumb.jpg

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I intended to use it in the garage, but the temperature is not cooperating. Seems everything needs to be at 65 degrees for 24 hours before applying and 72 hours after for proper bond strength. So.....I wait a month before finishing the project or I open some windows in the spare bedroom[*-)].

After reading all the warnings about flash fires...probably best to wait until it hits 65+ here to do the gluing. I have a bench, should be able to do it outside. But what about insects? Should be able to bring it indoors after it has set for awhile...3 days at 65+ is a long time. Seems like I'm talking myself into returning the contact cement and getting the non-flammable kind[8-)].

Turns out the best thing to do is use the flammable contact cement. The following posts will illustrate what can go wrong.