Heresy II project

rcarlton

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, those are absolutely gorgeous!!!!!! Great job!!!!! Wow, my hat's off to you! If you didn't know, you must be careful with storage of the rags used with linseed oil, as they can spontaneously combust..... best to put them in a metal can filled with water after they are used and dispose of with the household hazardous materials program. ( if applicable )

Well done, Ron !! Your work looks outstanding. indeed...

It seems that your experience - like mine - would lean (heavily) toward that 'stinkey' contact cement being much better. So, when's the "Open House" gonna be, so we can see hem in person? [:^)]

Rob

Finished veneering the Heresy I's. Learned quite a bit doing this project:

1. Use flammable contact cement. Non-flammable evidently has water in it causing the veneer to swell and curl. Once flattened down it will crack as it shrinks. Flammable contact cement does not cause swelling or curling.

2. Use sharp blades. You tend to get smoother cuts and less work.

3. Use 1/2" MDF work surface. It has no grain and will not affect your cuts.

4. A piece of wood with one corner rounded does a better job flattening the veneer than a "J"-roller.

5. Be very careful with sanding near the corners. Bubinga tends to have small splinters that are easily torn from the wood. Wiping with a cloth or tack cloth also catches on these splinters.

6. Use tape to mark each piece of veneer you cut. Since I needed 2 sheets to cover a speaker I numbered each sheet 1 and 2. I also used arrows to show up, and the side which was cut from the veneer. Once done the left side of the speaker is the mirror image of the right, same goes for top and bottom and edges.

post-18740-13819326108748_thumb.jpg

Here's how I did the edges.

1. Marked each piece and laid them on the speaker.

2. Made one 45 degree cut (doesn't matter where you start).

3. Lay that piece down and mark it for the next angled cut.

4. Follow that procedure all the way around.

post-18740-13819326109748_thumb.jpg

I slowly moved the release paper as I flattened down the veneer. I could not easily cut the inner edge of the veneer so I had to make sure it was flush with the speaker. Using my thumb allowed me to feel the edge and do a pretty accurate job.

post-18740-13819326112098_thumb.jpg

Here is what a corner looks like after gluing, trimming and light sanding.

Will start on final finishing today. Decided to finish using Tung oil.

Added note: I could have used a wire near the edge which would have even made a tighter seam. Remove wire and hammer down (push the veneer down using the board) toward the corner.

post-18740-13819326112688_thumb.jpg

I was using a 1/4 sheet orbital sander by DeWalt. Decided to switch to

a DeWalt random orbital sander (round discs). Huge difference, edges

and corners look professional. In fact I liked the looks so much I

re-sanded the Heresy II. Now I have 3 cabinets in the living room, all

with one coat of Tung oil. Will allow them to dry 24 hours before

adding another coat.

post-18740-13819326132546_thumb.jpg

Great work, Ron! They are beautiful... but you need to beware; now that you are a veneering god, you will always be looking around for more stuff to "improve." You dining room may be gone forever.

And, I still want to know, when is the Dallas/Fort Worth 'open house' to check 'em out "in person?"

Best to you...

Rob

Rob,

Just finished buttoning them up a few minutes ago. Refreshed the crossover. Keeping an eye on the NCAA's. My school...MSU beat Marquette. Have not hooked them up to see if they work yet. More pictures forthcoming.

I suppose I can bring them to a DFW Hornhead meeting. They sure do look pretty[:D]!