When seeking recommendations on new audio equipment . . .

Parrot

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As possibly one of the more diplomatic members of the forum I do not think diplomacy is a lie. It is more a means to an end. As Sean said "It sucks" is of absolutely no use whatsoever to the person whose system you are listening to.

However bad a system is (and I have heard a few) most do something well enough. Start there - and then work around to the issues. I try to bring people back to the real performance - or what they might imagine the real performance was like. In other words phrases like "OK - now listen to the violin. Does that sound like you imagine the actual violin sounded like? How does it differ? Does it fool you into thinking its real? Close your eyes - is there a violinist in front of you? etc etc."

I have found that telling people what I hear in their system is functionless. If, however, I start to ask them questions as to the sound we can get to the truth without smashing them over the head with criticism.

When it comes to evaluating the advice of others I find it helps to know how their system sounds. The converse is also true. If I am advising someone on their sound it really helps if they have heard my system and know where I am coming from. Interestingly enough they do not have to like my sound - they just have to understand why it is what it is - in other words why I chose it. Even if their desired sound it the polar opposite of mine this does not rule out my being able to provide useful input.

Funnily enough quite recently a guy from another forum (in the UK) visited Greece and we spent half a day together listening to various systems including mine. I had not thought I listened particuarly loud to music but his average volume is apparently way below my own. He found my sound too "in your face" and we went around several shops to listen to different setups to find his sound. We did in the end and AFAIK he is very happy.

Now advising on line is, of course, a whole other matter. All I think you can do it to relate your own experiences - others will differ.

As possibly one of the more diplomatic members of the forum I do not think diplomacy is a lie. It is more a means to an end. As Sean said "It sucks" is of absolutely no use whatsoever to the person whose system you are listening to.

However bad a system is (and I have heard a few) most do something well enough. Start there - and then work around to the issues. I try to bring people back to the real performance - or what they might imagine the real performance was like. In other words phrases like "OK - now listen to the violin. Does that sound like you imagine the actual violin sounded like? How does it differ? Does it fool you into thinking its real? Close your eyes - is there a violinist in front of you? etc etc."

All I think you can do it to relate your own experiences - others will differ.

Good post Max

"Imagining" what an instrument sounds like is a concern of mine. A listener needs to have reference to what the real instrument sounds like.

Whenever I hear a digital source that is not realistic it is easy for me to hear, ride cymbal and high hat (crash is hard for me to hear) show the lack of realism and influence of jitter. Low cost LP playback gets cymbals right more reliably than digital.

I have heard live drums allot (horns too). Most of you old posters know my daughter has played the drums since 1997.