Rf-7, rc-7, Str-db830

Seb

------------------------------------------------------------

UNIMPORTANT PART

Alright, here's the story: I want to buy new speakers. My budget is kind of limited, but I get equipment at cost since I work in an electronics store which happens to sell Klipsch and Denon, among others. If and when I buy speakers, I want it to be a definitive purchase that won't leave me with a need/want to upgrade for a looooong time.

That is why I was looking to buy the RF-7s. What I like: they're big, they're loud, and they have A LOT of impact. oh, and they're quite good-looking too. plus they won't leave me hungry for more speaker for a long time.

what I'm not so sure about: they could be too bright, especially with the receiver I have right now.

And that is the main issue. My trusty Sony STR-DB830 has plenty of power to drive the efficient Klipsch, that much I know. What I don't know, however (it might seem weird but I don't have a lot of opportunities to audition/compare equipment since my particular store doesn't carry the more expensive stuff) is whether my eardrums will be destroyed by that setup. Getting a new receiver NOW is out of the question completely, as my budget is too tight for that. I want to buy two front speakers and the center, as I feel those three are the most important to be matched. I don't feel the need to upgrade the rears beacuse of the limited (in amount and in nature) of the sound that comes out of them. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the sounds coming out of the rears are so brief or undefined, and our ears so unprecise when listening to things in the back, and we're so distracted by the much bigger stuff that happens in the front that we can't tell the difference between good and really good rear speakers. so for now, my fronts are going to the rear and that's it.

IMPORTANT PART

Now all that leaves me with a couple of options:

-buy the RF-7/RC-7 now, forget about the receiver, and upgrade later on, thereby liquidating me of any financial means for the next few months

-wait it out until i can buy a Denon (which model? 3802? 2802? 4802?) and the Klipsch together

-pretend i wouldn't hear a difference in the sound, forget about the whole thing entirely and buy a car

-or consider another setup (Energy or other maybe?) that would work better with the receiver I have now and allow me to invest in more worthwhile things before having to change the receiver

Remember, I want impact for home theater, music comes second and i want impact for music too anyways. I can get Klipsch, Energy, System Audio, Axiom, Kef, or Jamo speaker at cost, as well as Denon, Onkyo or Sony receivers. I wouldn't want to go with Paradigm for ex., as I wouldn't be getting even close to as good a deal.

Thanks!

-Seb

------------------

'cuz not a lot of people have ever said

"Pump up the treble!"

Something you won't want to upgrade??? I don't get it cwm32.gif!!! Seriously though if you work in an electronics store, that is one of the main benefits, you can keep getting better and better stuff without having to spend a lot of money. Are you really attached to the stuff you have now? Because you can always sell what you have to buy new stuff. Sure you'll have a week or two without your system, but it will make you appreciate it that much more when you get it back. As for the Sony receiver, I'm sure you can get a decent amount if you sell it, at least enough to buy a 2802 at cost. You would gain 6.1, DTS-ES, Dolby Pro-Logic II, DTS Neo-6, etc. Then next year, sell that for more than you paid and get a little bit better. The Klipsch RF-7's will be around for a while, but if you wait too long to sell your receiver, you'll not get as much.

This message has been edited by toddvj on 12-07-2001 at 01:23 AM

Get the speakers that you really want, no matter if you wait a day, a month, or six months. If you don't, you'll spend a good portion of the time looking at the speakers you bought, wishing they were the RF-7's that you really like. Make absolutely sure you are happy as hell with your speakers...you will have to live with them for a long time. I spent 12 years pining for a set of Cornwalls, while settling for something else, and I finally got the Cornwalls. Best audio decision I have ever made.

The Sony will work for now. Get the amp that you really want when you can afford that. Nothing wrong with doing this a step at a time. Overbuy on the receiver (as much as the budget will allow) when the time comes. Nothing wrong with having extra power. The Denons are nice units, haven't seen much of the recent Onkyo. I'm not a big fan of Sony receivers, unless it's the ES line (and still not my favorite). Buy quality gear that you know you can live with, and you will be happier with your setup. Speakers and Amp/Preamp/Receiver choices really will make the difference in your system. Choose wisely!

It helps that you get a discount! Sometimes I wish I still had such ties to the business, just for the discounts alone. I don't miss the General Public aspect of the business, though....

I was out shopping for subs and heard the RF-7's today in a store, and they sound really good in a HT setup. Impressive!

Good luck putting it together.

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

never thought of selling the receiver... the rest of the gear would be pretty much worthless, but the receiver maybe... that's a freaking good idea!

I'll see how it all works out.

thanks, keep 'em coming!

-Seb

------------------

"Pump up the treble!"

quote:

Originally posted by Seb:

by the way, what receiver?

should i wait it out more and get the 4802, or should settle for the 3802, or maybe even the 2802?

I would certainly get the 4802 in order to get the most out of the RF-7s.

------------------

Will be getting the following in December.

Home Theater:

TV: Sony KV-ES38M91 (38" FD Trinitron WEGA)

Receiver: Denon AVC-A11SR (230V version of Denon AVR-4802)

DVD player: Sony DVP-S9000ES

VCR: Sony SLV-ED100 (HiFi VCR)

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7

Subwoofer: SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier

What about the differences between the 4802 and the 5800??

is it just the power?

because if it is, then screw the 5800, i'm going for the 4802.

i just found out i'll be able to get them even cheaper than i thought at first (15% below cost)...

yeeehaaa!!

-Seb

------------------

"Pump up the treble!"

quote:

What about the differences between the 4802 and the 5800??

is it just the power?

because if it is, then screw the 5800, i'm going for the 4802.

i just found out i'll be able to get them even cheaper than i thought at first (15% below cost)...

yeeehaaa!!

-Seb

Click here for the Denon receivers: http://www.denon.com/catalog/products.asp?l=1&c=2

Secondly, the 4802 is newer than the 5800. The 4802 had Dolby ProLogic II while the 5800 does not. There are rumors that there will be a 5802 soon...I think. Click on that site to see the differences between the 4802 and 5800.

------------------

Home Theater:

thanks.

sorry to ask, but i don't have much time right now between exams and work to check out the official site.

plus, there often are some differences that aren't listed in official sites that people would know from using them, i.e. build quality, sound characteristics, etc...

i think i'll go for the 4802... eventually.

This message has been edited by Seb on 12-08-2001 at 11:00 AM

quote:

thanks.

sorry to ask, but i don't have much time right now between exams and work to check out the official site.

plus, there often are some differences that aren't listed in official sites that people would know from using them, i.e. build quality, sound characteristics, etc...

i think i'll go for the 4802... eventually.

The 4802 is an excellent choice. Smile.gif

------------------

Home Theater: