Super T amp and mini-box?

Daddy Dee

I'm wondering if it is safe to use a mini-box to sum the L and R channel from a Super T amp. Some time ago on the forum, I read some posts warning against attempting to bridge a T amp. I didn't grasp the technical issue as to why that was a bad idea, but got the message o.k.

This warning came to mind when considering the thought of using a minibox to derive a center channel.

Any advice appreciated.

I want to say that you'll be just fine - but don't quote me on that.

Is there any chance that you can just build a line-level version and avoid the issue altogether?

Bridging two channels of an amp is not the same thing as using a center channel box. In the later, the two sides do not "see" each other since there is a resistor in between.

So Mike is probably correct. Besides, he will promptly and cheerfully repair any damage that might occur.

-Tom

Dean,

"I'm going to use two Super-T's with the Jubilee. Scary huh."

Nope. Amps have it easy when they don't have all those reactive components between them and the speaker. You also effectively have more power that way since there are no losses/attenuation in a passive crossover.

Shawn

"Also, that the resistor between the channels provides enough of of a (what?) to prevent a problem."

They are basically a passive mixer. They add loading to the circuit to lower crosstalk between the channels. With the minibox you will end up with some loss of channel separation.

Shawn

The only thing I'd watch out for is I think the Tripath amps don't have a common ground. The speaker level minibox probably wouldn't work with that.

Shawn

Yikes, I forgot about that detail.

I had assumed they were a common ground (I mistakingly once made that asumption about a car radio once and .....).

Fortunately, I had already volunteered Mike to fix any damage that might occur.

-Tom

lol - that's why I didn't want to be quoted on it!

Can't the mini-box be built differently to accomodate the difference in ground? I still think the line-level approach would be easier and cheaper - provided it hasn't already been built yet.

I'm going to use two Super-T's with the Jubilee. Scary huh.

Dean, yeh, scary good! That should sound fabulous with Jubilee.

Some time back, after reading some of your posts, I got interested in the Super T and have been using it in a system driving Heresy II's and the sound is excellent. You are right, this amp is a sleeper.

lol - that's why I didn't want to be quoted on it!

Can't the mini-box be built differently to accomodate the difference in ground? I still think the line-level approach would be easier and cheaper - provided it hasn't already been built yet.

This is an interesting question. I have wondered if the Dynaco QD2 might be a safe option. It takes two speaker level signals and derives a center AND (if desired) a L rear and R rear.

All this hoopla I'd love to give one of these amps a try.

Any chance I could borrow/rent one from somebody? Temporary trade? Or maybe I don't want to know how they sound for fear of not being able to purchase one, lol...but seriously, they couldn't be that expensive to ship could they? Maybe in the process I can "tear it apart" and see if you can't easily get around the common ground thing.