Locating K-horn tweeters

George Roland

Hi guys,

Well, I'm still tinkering with my K-horns. I got my Trachorns from Al a week or so ago and swapped them out for the Altec 511Bs I was listenting to before. Still using the K-55 V on the mid horns. I like this combination better than the 511Bs. Now I have Bob's CT 125s and a nice pair of JBL 2404s to compare. I have to build a little box for the CT 125s so I can listen to them in vertical or horizontal orientation, centered over the Trachorns or alongside. Can't do any real comparisons until that's done.

I'd be interested in opinions about the CT 125 vs, the JBL 2404 as a top end.

I have what are probably a bunch of dumb questions. Here goes....
First is tweeter orientation. The diagrams on the JBL 2404 make it look as though the radiation patterns are very similar whether or not the screw flanges are vertical or horizontal. Is that right? Which way were these intended to be mounted?
Second, the CT 125s are usually shown mounted horizontally, but Al said they sound "fine" oriented vertically, but that isn't quite the same as "identical", so I'm wondering what the trade offs are in vertically mounting the CT 125? BTW, I liked the CT 125s a LOT more than the Klipsch tweeters mounted in the Klipsch top section.
Third, what difference will it make if the tweeters are centered over the Trachorns or alongside?
Fourth, I am going to need to rotate my top section outwards to fire down my narrow room (K-horns have to go on the short wall in a room ca. 14 x 22 feet.) If I end up placing the tweeters alongside the Trachorns would it be best to place the tweeters towards the side walls or inboard with the Trachorns on the outside?

Thanks,

George

Hi guys,

First is tweeter orientation. The diagrams on the JBL 2404 make it look as though the radiation patterns are very similar whether or not the screw flanges are vertical or horizontal. Is that right? Which way were these intended to be mounted?

George, I seem to recall considerable discussion about this cant recall which forum (have you already done a search?). The final answer was that it didnt matter a bit.

Fourth, I am going to need to rotate my top section outwards to fire down my narrow room (K-horns have to go on the short wall in a room ca. 14 x 22 feet.) If I end up placing the tweeters alongside the Trachorns would it be best to place the tweeters towards the side walls or inboard with the Trachorns on the outside?

Thanks,

George

Your listening room and mine are about the same size, but mine is even just a bit narrower that the 14 you have. My Klipschorns are on the short wall with the mids (Trachorns) on the outside / tweeters on the inside. My reasoning was that most of the music (that I can actually hear) comes from the mids so putting the Trachorns on the outside gave me the broadest separation. Sounds good to me!

Regards,

Rob

I'm hoping to build a temporary box to house the Trachorns so I can place a tweeter either centered on top of, or oriented any way I want to the side of, the Trachorn. Thanks for the tip about the trachorns. BTW do you have your Trachorns angled down into the room or are you using them as they would "normally" be used in K-horns, firing straight ahead?

George

I'm hoping to build a temporary box to house the Trachorns so I can place a tweeter either centered on top of, or oriented any way I want to the side of, the Trachorn. Thanks for the tip about the trachorns. BTW do you have your Trachorns angled down into the room or are you using them as they would "normally" be used in K-horns, firing straight ahead?

George

George...

My Trachorns - indeed, the entire top hat section - are what you describe as "normally" aligned. The imaging is excellent... I'm not sure how much of the good imaging cedit should go to the Trachorns, and how much should go to the extreme slope networks.

Have a super week,

Rob

• 2 weeks later...