Question about increasing the audio signal from DVD player to receiver

wuzzzer

My Oppo DVD player has a feature that allows you to raise or lower the output level of each speaker in your system. I believe it goes from -9 to +9. This is how they have their DVD player set up to adjust the speakers to blend with the others and a way to compensate for differences in distance between the speakers.

Considering that I only have a 2 channel system, this feature isn't much use to me, or so I thought. If I boost the L + R channels, I'm obviously sending a hotter signal to my receiver. Would there be any benefits or drawbacks from doing this? Some DVDs seem to be recorded very low, such as Star Wars III, which makes me turn the volume up on my receiver much higher than I normally would for other movies.

I also use my Oppo as a CD player. If I adjust the outputs to +5 for L + R, is my receiver going to benefit from it at all?

What's the variation in milliwatts between the -9 to +9 settings? When you find out you could then check what the recommended input is for your receiver. The maximum setting on your DVD player may very well be a standard output level anyway. I would probably set the output level closer to the maximum - it may mask some background noise...

Thanks for the answer. I'm not sure about the milliwatt variation, I'll have to track down the manual and see. I was thinking it might mask some noise as well. I just didn't want it to be a case where raising the level too high would be too hot of a signal for the receiver and introduce distortion into the system.

Well, looks like the manual simply states that it adjusts the output level in 0.5dB increments. I was a little off in how much it can be adjusted, its plus or minus 10 dB in .5dB increments. Right now I have it adjusted to +5.0dB. I'm going to watch a movie and see how it goes.

If you're really picky (more with music than movies?), there may be an audible trade-off in how far to turn it up. Higher may mean less noise while lower may put the receiver's volume control down where it doesn't sound as good. Some VC's seem to sound better at moderate cranking, not too high or too low.