Ess Heil AMT 1b

tom b. 57

Well, I was able to finally purchase a pair of these classic speakers. I posted a week or so ago about the wonderful opportunity to have first dibs on these babys. I brought them home last night and the memories of my first experience of listening to these in the mid 70's came rushing back. How cool. I ended up paying $500.00 for them, but, they are in very good cosmetic and sonic shape. The gentleman I purchased these from has several replacement parts, including transformers and woofers (original). Some brand new, never been used. He has informed me that if I require parts he will be more than happy to accomodate. O.B. referred to owning a pair in the past and sometimes missing those AMT's. I understand completely. My Heritage speakers are still my favorite but these add a different flavor. My 30+year desire for these babys is over, its a reality now.

Happy Camper

Well, I was able to finally purchase a pair of these classic speakers. I posted a week or so ago about the wonderful opportunity to have first dibs on these babys. I brought them home last night and the memories of my first experience of listening to these in the mid 70's came rushing back. How cool. I ended up paying $500.00 for them, but, they are in very good cosmetic and sonic shape. The gentleman I purchased these from has several replacement parts, including transformers and woofers (original). Some brand new, never been used. He has informed me that if I require parts he will be more than happy to accomodate. O.B. referred to owning a pair in the past and sometimes missing those AMT's. I understand completely. My Heritage speakers are still my favorite but these add a different flavor. My 30+year desire for these babys is over, its a reality now.

Happy Camper

I have to say that when I bought my first pair of new cornwalls in 1979 these were an option that i considered. I went with the Klipsch for the outdoor party opporunities!

Josh

Good for you, and Good Luck..............I'm amased at all the "old names" from the past popping up all over these threads...........ESS AMT's, that thread on JBL it's like Vintage Speaker month around here.............So, FEBUARY is Vintage speaker Month !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...........You will like the ESS the longer you have them, great high end presentation, and they like corners too............Like I say, I'm a Klipsch Fan but sure do miss those, AMT's...very under-rated speaker.....................ENJOY....................

It was these speakers that started me on my path to Hi Fidelity, as I had an older friend who had a pair in 1976. I fell in love with them and told myself I would own a pair one day. About a year later he traded up for some KEF 105/4's that just blew me away with his Bob Carver holographic amp, Denon TT with DL-103 cart, and DBX 3bx range expander. One year after that I joined the Air Force and got stationed in Germany. It was there where I heard my first pair of La Scala's at the Ramstein BX. The rest is history they say...

Mike

Reminds me of a friend's stereo from college - he worked in a stereo store and, judging from the Pantera he drove, money was no problem. Anyway, he had:

Heil AMTs driven by a Crown D-60 or H-K Citation 12

4 Bose 901s driven by 2 Bose 1801 amps

4 Large Advents driven by either the Bose amps or H-K Citation 16

I forget what preamp he was using, but he did have a dbx 3bx and an SAE click and pop reducer.

All this in a 12' by 16' dorm room. It could get very loud, and, at full throttle, could make all the lights up and down the hall flicker.