New RC64 with blown driver...not impressed

JetJockey

So I picked up my new RC64 this afternoon to match my prized 83's. When I got it out of the box I noticed the rubber flange around the far right driver had a small crease/imperfection at the 10 o'clock position and thought thats weird, that doesn't look right. Anyway, I figured Klipsch would never let this BIG dollar speaker out of the factory if it was a problem and hooked it up and did an auto setup on the Receiver. After about 8 songs played in multi channel surround, I had Ray Charles on and heard the horrible sound of a blown driver, the farting sound as the driver rattled around in its enclosure.

Anyway, anyone who has read my posts on here know that I am a huge Klipsch fan and really feel let down by this, I called the store and they said "we will order a new driver", yea right, I better get a new speaker or I will freak. Will let you know tomorrow,

Lets see what the Klipsch employees have to say please.

I feel for you. I am wondering if maybe it happened during the shipment. Chances of that happening from the factory are probably slim. Sounds like bad luck. Hopefully you get a new one and not have to mess around with the driver. Like KT said, i bet they take care of you too. Good luck and thanks for the feedback on that amp! I am about a week or two away from ordering it. [:D]

While on one of my many excursions to my local theatre store the salesman was telling me that when the 64 first arrived to them it had the same problem with not one, but three of the drivers. He said the massive weight of it caused it during shipping. He said they have the problem a lot. When you figure (force= momentum times weight)...If you drop that thing on its side on a pallet. It will do some damage quick.

I had the same thoughts regarding the weight/size issue, I'm pretty sure it got banged up during shipping, its too big and awkward for its own good, mind you, the 83's are way bigger and they were fine, go figure. Anyway, when I packed it up to take it back I noticed something loose inside, you could hear something moving around when you moved the speaker, obviously part of the driver assembly...oh well, the 62 sounds damn fine in the meantime.

just glad to hear that they are going to take care of you by replacing the speaker. When I got my setup a friend of mine helped with the move from the car to the house on every speaker including the 64. Even to the point that it tool the two of use to unpack the 83's and 64, I just wanted to be careful. If you like the 62 I can't wait to hear your opinion about the 83's and 64.

James