vertical cornwall as heritage center channel

Ludovico

I can see that a true center channel for a heritage setup is something of a holy grail. My setup currently has 4 cornwalls and I may add 2 la scalas. I have L100s, HPM100s and others to fill in until I can go all heritage in 7.1. In a previous post several people recommended a "vertical cornwall" as the ideal center channel in a setup like this as it can be laid on its side. The problem is I am unlikely to find one any time soon, especially locally.

So, here's two newbie level questions for the klipsch public:

1. Will a standard cornwall laid on its side yeild disastrous results as a center channel until a vertical cornwall is obtained? and

2. How will I recognize a vertical cornwall when one crosses my path? Any pics?

Thanks always,

Alex

Say you have a Cornwall I built in the mid 70's to early 80's.

"1. Will a standard cornwall laid on its side yeild disastrous results as a center channel until a vertical cornwall is obtained? "

A similar one will be just great, some might debate you might not ever hear it anyhow.. on its side..

The thought process is your left and right speaker horns in the cornwalls horns are all horizontal. An older vertical cornwall II (not the new (er) late 80's cornwall II one ) in the upright version has the horns going vertical.. But is just at home placed on the side, is now horizontal as well.

My 1968 vertical Cornwall now on it's side is an amazing center between 2 k horns.. It is also seamless to 2 more cornwalls as well.

"2. How will I recognize a vertical cornwall when one crosses my path? Any pics?"

They do pop up now and then. A vertical cornwall when it is stood up next to a regular one will have a different motorboard..(where the speakers are physically placed on the front, and yes the mids and highs are vertical in this upright position.)

Thanks for the offer. I'll let you know. For now I'm waiting for Belles to come up for sale in my area. If I can find 3 of them (or maybe 2 of them and one la scala) they will be the fronts for my system. If not, I will want to modify one of my cornwalls.

Good luck on your search. I ran three Belles up front for about a year, and it was magical. Of course, I like Khorn, Belle, Khorn up front even better now!! And yes, you are right. It is a sickness!!

Indy is correct. Vertical Cornwalls also make a nice center in between Khorns. I would not mix Cornwalls and Belles on the same array, however (keep them separated front and back).

post-13160-13819325764692_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the offer. I'll let you know. For now I'm waiting for Belles to come up for sale in my area. If I can find 3 of them (or maybe 2 of them and one la scala) they will be the fronts for my system. If not, I will want to modify one of my cornwalls.

Hey Ludo,

Here's a pair of Belles on audiogon in New Hampshire.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1177533184

I don't know how big "your area" is, so I don't know if that's in it or not. [:)]

Tenzip:

thanks for the lead. not only are the speakers beautiful, but i also realized that audiogon does not list their stuff in order of date, at least when you search by keyword. i have a bookmark for "klipsch" on the audiogon site and kept wondering why there was never anything new. now i'll be much quicker on the draw if anything comes up that i must have.

i live about 600 miles from nashua, NH and would be just about willing to drive out there but for one thing: i have some unpaid tickets in NY from like 12 years ago that i've been too much of a douchebag to pay off so my license is suspended there. no way to get from PA without going through at least a little bit of NY.

so anyway, realistically my range is about 400 miles. Unless someone has exactly 3 belles available. then i'd be willing to drive 600 miles or so. i guess i want'em pretty bad!

Further leads much appreciated.