Has anybody heard the KW-120 and PB12-Plus/2?

eu_viking

I'm looking for a sub to complement my RF-7's. I live in Europe, and availability and price is a bit different here.

Fathom f113 would be my choice, but a 230V version as not available until late 2007 and JL Audio is estimating 1-2 years before there will be dealer presence in my area. I can't wait that long.

The Klipsch KW-120/KA-1000 package has caught my interest. A listening test of these is difficult as it would require a 4h drive one way. Two subs and an amp woould cost me 2400 euros (3320 USD).

SVS is only selling box subs but not the Ultra series. So that leaves the PB12-Plus/2 as the top model which would cost me 2300 euros (3180 USD). A listening test here is also difficult as my regional dealer never has one in stock.

I've narrowed down to these two, but as they are the same price and I haven't heard either it seems like a coin toss.... or is it??

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I have the SVS SB12 plus and it absolutly rocks, i can only imagine the much bigger PB12 plus2 would rock the house even that much more. I have heard alot of great things about the SVS so I bought one. Not a regret at all. My dad has the Klipsch sub and he likes it.

JL audio has taken the subwoofer to new levels and taken alot of wind out of the SVS subwoofer market. SVS has a website that you can buy direct from here in the US. Have you contacted them to see if they ship overseas from thier online retail store? Thier retail prices for the 110V models is much lower then the prices you quoted. But of course they are not the 230V models that I priced out.

thier website is www.svsound.com

Klipsch THX sub package over the dual driver Plus series SVS. An easy choice here. The Klipsch combo goes toe to toe against the dual driver Ultra,not only the Plus.

Depends on your budget,if you can I would go Klipsch THX sub combo. Or SVS Ultra.

Yea, my vote is for the KW-120 subs as well...

If nothing else, having two subs gives you more flexibility with fighting the awful realities of small room acoustics by not collocating them. Or you could just stack them in the corner and blow the PB12 outta the water.

I don't know the power drainage or the wattage req's, but there are 230 volt converters out there which we use (Americans) when go over seas. Also I believe that most houses are actually 230 volts leading into the house but have converters for them. Again I'm not entirely sure if that's true too, but I have an arc welder and I use it at my dad's place sometimes and the required voltage is 230v or something. So don't eliminate the fathom.

Thanks everybody for your input. My gut feeling was to go with the Klipsch, and with the feedback from you guys it sounds like an excellent choice.

But a new contender has entered the arena and my gut is confused again, the 230V Fathom f113 which is available now. JL Audio claims no dealer will be available in western Europe for another 1-2 years, so I would have to import. Soundoctor.com quoted me $3200 + $560 shipping. When I said the Fathom f113 could be found for $2500 they said I was being lied to. So I am looking elsewhere for a price quote.

Price wise the Klipsch and the Fathom would be the same. But I find it hard to wait for sourcing the Fathom and having it shipped, when I could have the Klipsch in a matter of days.