Linn LP12 on Ebay,worth it?

lwhaples

Good morning Larry...I thought me and the Buckster were the only ones up this early. So you've got the tt upgrade bug too? Been looking around some but think I am going to wait for a while since there is nothing wrong with my current setup. That is a nice looking Linn other than that I can't help you any. Got to go get some coffee....grabbed the laptop as soon as sat down.

BTW....followed you lead and sent Craig a payment through paypal this morning for Bucksters new Scott.

Chuck

Larry, the Linns in St. Louis sell for $700 to $900 in operating condition, AND we are a "depressed" market. This would be a solid upgrade, if you compare stock to stock condition. Tweaked tables change value dramatically. The Linn is creeping close to holy grail territory, and holds the upper hand over the majority of Thorens.

Seeing that you are so close, and he is dumping it to avoid a possible flood, I'd call on him tomorrow and ask what he needs. I wouldn't recommend this normally, but I've been through two floods in the past decade, and you want stuff gone IMMEDIATELY. Make sure the table works, and if he is honest, he will sell at a screaming deal. Packing this table up will take a couple hours, and if he is moving all his stock to storage, he will lose thousands of bucks trying to make a couple hundred.

^Good Advice^

If you can get it for his current asking, (doubtful) it would be a smokin' deal, (even without the dustcover) and yes IMO this should represent a considerable upgrade from the TD-160, especially given the added improvements. Looks like a cheezy $25 cartridge though, likely just installed so it was functional.

Since it's a shop within a record store by the sounds of it, (consignment deal?) I would try to visit F2F before a bid appears (as there's only a couple of days left in the auction)

Good Luck

WopOnTour

Sent an email with my phone number on Sunday,no reply. Had to work in in his town,but knew it was going to be a long day and had to haul a 20 foot trailer back to the shop. He closes at 6 and I'm just heading out at quarter of. I call and he says he'll wait. Cool! Parking was a drag,but he ended the Aution and sold it me. Sweet! I got home to see he called and return my mail.I guess he was happy I came in.

Larry

Congratulations. If you've liked your Thorens 160, you should really like the Linn. The set up of the table is similar. The Thorens is actually a good table to own prior to the Linn. Much of the same maintainence and set up on those Thorens apply to the Linn. Does it have the Vahalla power supply? By the way, you can get a new dust cover direct from Linn for about $125.

Congratulations. If you've liked your Thorens 160, you should really like the Linn. The set up of the table is similar. The Thorens is actually a good table to own prior to the Linn. Much of the same maintainence and set up on those Thorens apply to the Linn. Does it have the Vahalla power supply? By the way, you can get a new dust cover direct from Linn for about $125.

Scott,Thanks for the heads up on the cover.I still may see the original. I did take the bottom off last night for a look see.Bunch of foam pellets inside. How do I know what the power supply is? I assume it says on it somewhere.

Larry