HELP!!! I can't find the wire in the wall

33klfan

I am trying to fish speaker wire for the surrounds up the wall, and i can't get it. I only have a 3/8" hole in the drywall and through the subfloor, but i can't see the wire at all. I don't want to cut a big hole in the drywall but i'm afraid that is next. I am using a steel fishing line and i can't get it to go to either hole. I know it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack, but i don't know what to do. I don't know how people do this for a profession.

okay, not too sure about how the house is built or where you are running it from, but here is an idea.

take the wire and wrap it with a paper clip, several times if you have to. then take a good high powered magnet. see where i am going with this one...when you put the wire in the hole, place the magnet over it, the pull the wire with the magnet.

just an idea.

Well, i fixed the problem. I was told about that magnet trick but i tried using that along with the steel fishing line, and i don't think it was strong enough. It was a wreath holder that you put on a metal door, which is strong, but not strong enough. I don't know what you would use to go through 1/2" drywall with plaster. However, luckily our extra room is behind that wall, so the only thing we could think of was cutting a small hole near the bottom of the wall. We put the fish line through the hole drilled in the wall where the speaker would be, then i could find it and i stuck it through the hole down through the floor, taped the wire to the line and pulled it up. It worked pretty slick. Being a carpenter, it won't be too much to fix those holes, plus they are covered up anyhow. We figured it was better to do that in that room than the living room. After that, it's a pretty clean installation.

The trick to fishtape is learning how to bend the leading end so that it ends up bending in the direction you want it to go. If you're having trouble getting it to go around corners, then start twisting it all crazy style while feeding the wire - eventually it will slip and start to move again. Unwind and continue fishing like normal. I used to run wires for a company and we would have competitions on trying to get a fish tape to run the whole distance and make it out through some crazy small holes a few hundred feet away. I was never very good, but picked up a bunch of tricks from the old guys that had been doing it way too long. If you're certain that you have the fishline going near the correct

spot, then one thing we would always do is bend up a coathanger so that it

would expand out into a "circle" behind the hole...fish the tape

way up through the circle and then use the coat hanger to pull the fish

line towards the hole. Usually the fish line head is slightly bigger so

if you pull on the hangar while the fish tape is retracted you can

usually get the head to pop through the hole. We had a fancy tool for this, but any piece of stiff wire is generally suitable.

Btw, would it be easier to fish the tape through the 3/8" hole and then down through the subfloor? Is there a basement underneathe that you'll be running the wire through? If so, it would prob be less intrusive to make a big hole in the subfloor versus the drywall.

If you end up cutting a larger hole in the wall, then I would recommend cutting it to the size of a standard electrical box that way you can just put on one of them fancy plastic face plates when it comes time to move or whatever. You can use it as a selling point as "prewired for surround sound". And then during normal use, you can put on one of them fancy audio faceplate jacks to make it all perty like.