McIntosh Glass Bubbles Cause?

Good2BHome

Does anyone know the cause of the bubbles in McIntosh Glass Face Plates? If this is not the correct Forum please let me know.

Mike

------------------

3 Channel Audio:

1980 Cornwalls

Klipsch Quartet as Rear

The following I bought NEW in 1971:

McIntosh MR-74

McIntosh C-26

McIntosh MC-2505

This post would likely get more responses in the computing forum but I suggest that there is nothing that would happen in your Mac that would cause bubbles to occur on the faceplate of your monitor.

The 2 most likely causes would be a manufacturing defect or damage to the anti-glare coating. If the monitor is still under warranty you might look into having the monitor replaced.The other possibility is that the anti-glare coating on the face of the monitor has been damaged either as the result of improper cleaning or as the result of the anti-glare coating having been damaged by being hit by some object and scratched. If the latter is the case there is little if anything that can be done about it.

The safest method of cleaning a computer screen:

The best cleaner for the monitor is a measuring cup of lukewarm water with a couple of drops of Simple Green or liquid dishwashing detergent in it. Apply the solution to a soft cloth,wring the cloth and wipe the face with that. Do not spray the solution directly on the screen. Dry the face with a soft lint-free cloth.)

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca. 1304 BCE)

This message has been edited by lynnm on 12-09-2001 at 07:48 PM

quote:

Originally posted by Good2BHome:

Does anyone know the cause of the bubbles in McIntosh Glass Face Plates? If this is not the correct Forum please let me know.

Mike

Are there bubbles, like air bubbles actually in the glass? Did they jsut pop up or did you ge them that way?

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

Justin

McIntosh face plates are coated?/painted?/etched?/? with the lettering and then coated?/painted?/etched?/? with black. The problem is some times the black seperates from the glass. It is reasonably common around the phonejack after a couple years and this is not really a problem, at least to me. But I see a significant amount of McIntosh on eBay and some locally that has bubbles that does take away from the appearance.

I'm looking for the cause of this "scourge". You can purchace a new one (if available) from McIntosh for about $102. But I want to know what causes it.

An example is attached. In all corners except the upper right, there is serious bubbling on the edge.

Mike

------------------

3 Channel Audio:

1980 Cornwalls

Klipsch Quartet as Rear

The following I bought NEW in 1971:

McIntosh MR-74

McIntosh C-26

McIntosh MC-2505

oh i see. so, it is like the tinting is loosing its connection to the glass, like when you get cheap tinting done to your car.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

Mike,

I had to replace the entire front panel on my MR78 FM tuner because of bubbles. The problem is that the reverse side is actually paint on real glass. The paint was pulled off and partly desolved by the glue of some strips of black foam tape placed along the top and bottom of the panel that was stuck directly to the paint.

Al K.

The "bubbles" are from the separation of the black paint from the back side of the glass panel. You can take the panel off, identify where the paint has separated from the glass, and paint it with some high gloss black paint or even get a permanent marker and cover all the areas that are affected. Be sure to look at the panel carefully with bright backlighting to make sure you didn't miss anything before you re-install it. Be carefull with handling/cleaning the back side of the panel, it seems this paint is "very" susceptable to flaking... Good Luck.