Mating RC-64 with RF-7's

Professor.Ham.Slap

As per request, some of you asked what I thought about mating RF-7's with a RC-64, but first a little bit of back story. I never did have a RC-7 to audition with in my home, however I did audition it earlier at the dealer's shop. Therefore as a quick disclaimer, my conclusions about the RC-7 may not be 100% because I never had it in my home. Anyway, now that we have that out of the way, on to the good stuff.

The difference between the 64 compared to the 7 is very noticeable in my opinion. The new tweeter in my mind seems to be slightly milder in comparison, but not so much that it would interfere with speaker matching. Overall it seems to be a little more flowing and natural with a slightly smoother high end. Plus the overall look of the 64 is just daunting. People really tend to like the look of it, more so than the RF-7's or even the RSW-15

The first thing I noticed is the low end extension of this thing. For being a sealed box and a center (two things that usually mean not much more than midrange extension) this center performs well enough that I was able to comfortably set the crossover at 60hz. This worked great for me because it seems to have opened up my front end pretty considerably. I'm assuming it's because the sub has less to worry about less so maybe it sounds a little bit cleaner? So yes, overall performance is top notch and basically what I've come to expect from Klipsch.

The timbre match to the RF-7's I would say is nearly perfect. In all the movies I watched with my current configuration, I'd have to say that not once have I noticed a transitional anomaly between my mains and the center. So even though the two have a different tweeter, I think the match is very near perfect, or at least beyond the range that I can detect. If anybody wants to know anything else go ahead and ask. I'll try to keep this thread updated as much as possible.

My two cents, in the very short time I have had my 64 I noticed right away with music (multi channel) the same things as you, gorgeous mids and yes even quite noticeable deep extended very tight bass.

you said:

The first thing I noticed is the low end extension of this thing. For being a sealed box and a center (two things that usually mean not much more than midrange extension) this center performs well enough that I was able to comfortably set the crossover at 60hz. This worked great for me because it seems to have opened up my front end pretty considerably. I'm assuming it's because the sub has less to worry about less so maybe it sounds a little bit cleaner? So yes, overall performance is top notch and basically what I've come to expect from Klipsch.

Chris

Thanks for the post, Professor. I was hoping that you had replaced an RC-7 with your new 64, but it was interesting to read your impressions nonetheless. I have heard the new RF-83 based system on a number of occassions and have been most curious about the center channel. My impressions were much the same as yours, the overall sound is a bit "tamed down," if you will, from that of my RF-7 system. However, I'm not sure how much I would appreciate a mismatched front array (RF-7 mains and an RC-64 center channel). When I get my theater done, I'll have to get my local Klipsch shop salesmen over and ask them to bring that center. I guess that really would be the best-to hear it in my home in my setup.

Too bad you're not closer or we could do this "in (forum) house!"

-David

• 2 months later...

After using the RC-64 and RF-7s for a longer time period now, do you still think they are a perfect match? I have 2 RF-7s and can not find the RC-7 cherry for sale anywhere and want to know anything I can about pairing the rf-7s with the rc-64. Thanks.

Groto, glad you brought this up.

I also had a hard time finding an RC-7 but in maple or black. They are hard to come by. I called the Klipsch Technical Support and told him about my dilemma. He has done much A/B testing with RC-7 and RC-64 and told me to go with the RC-64 if I cannot find a RC-7. He found that the RC-64 matched extremely well. It was just a bit smoother or "neutral" in the higher frequency, but nothing you will notice with a mismatch in timbre. He said the RC-64 is a very good match. He also recommended the RC-35 if you wanted to go a little less. I just made my purchase on the RC-64 and I think that there are other users, that are very happy with this combination. The one thing you need to consider is the size of this thing. I believe its 8' in height and 33' wide. A big monster.

I also corresponded with Professor.Ham.Slap and he is very satisfied with this combination. Maybe he will step in here and give us his results. I just bought mine and it wont be rigged up until we move into our new home.

Dave

Dave,

Glad to see I made your decision a little easier, glad I could help. And trust me, I don't think you'll ever be disappointed.

Groto,

After a little over a year of owning the RC-64 I'm still as happy as I am from day 1. It still matches everything very well (of course the only real difference is the lack of a black dustcap). I'll post pics of my current setup shortly.

Here is what the system looks like right now. The wiring job isn't perfect, but clean enough for a college apartment IMO [:$]

Despite the design differences between the two speakers, I think they still look very good together.

front.JPG

I also have two RS-7's running surround duty which have also worked very well for my uses.
back of room