what to think when a $800.00, amp compares to a 5000.00 pair

I didn't try them with Al's ALKs, but with another network I made myself that was similar. This is NOT to say AL's networks are not good networks, because they are. They are also built extremely well. Has to do with the application, and in this case my opinion is that they MAY not be the best choice for the amplifier in question. I'm just saying that it might be worth it to try the amp (either paralleled or stereo) using the lower order network.

Edwin: Sure, I understand what you're saying in terms of the kind of bass response some single-ended amps, particularly when called on to fill larger Parrotvian spaces. Difficult. However, there is a reason that the low end response of this small OTL amplifier is different from that of a more conventional transformer coupled amplifier.

Erik

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edwin: Sure, I understand what you're saying in terms of the kind of bass response some single-ended amps, particularly when called on to fill larger Parrotvian spaces. Difficult. However, there is a reason that the low end response of this small OTL amplifier is different from that of a more conventional transformer coupled amplifier.

Erik

Maybe you're right. This is an interesting design. I have no experience whatsoever with an OTL amplifier...

Edwin: Sure, I understand what you're saying in terms of the kind of

bass response some single-ended amps, particularly when called on to

fill larger Parrotvian spaces. D

Parrotvian. I like that, but let's use Parrotovian--easier to pronounce.

Don't know if you saw this pic but someone with La Scalas did some experimenting with Oris horns.

Edit:

Looks like the LS bass bin might have been a DIY job.

Check the Oris site - Many people are using some type of LS bass unit.