Tube rolling in a EL34 Amp _Whats your favorite

NJbob

I just got hold of a pr of siemans german Black plate single halo matched quads. They tamed the Horn's considerably from the JJ's I had in there. Nice even sound great definition of each instrument. I'm very happy

It does seem that I lost some gain maybe 1.5db, but the amp has the extra juice if I want to turn it up (VTA70)

Just wanted to hear what other are using in their amps.

Thanks

Bob

Not sure if your amp can use SED 6L6GC( I believe the 6L6GC is a replacement for EL 34s but not positive) but in my Cayin they sound great. Midrange and highs are better than any EL 34s I've tried, bass is good but not great.

Al has the same Cayin amp I do and he brought it over to my house to compare with mine. His amp had some GE KT 66s that were even smoother sounding than the 6L6GCs. I can not afford the GE KT66s(NOS tubes $$$) but I am going to try some Valve Art KT 66s in a couple of weeks.

Glad to see this post. I've been running Ruby EL34 BSTR's and find them to be the best of the four, in fact I just bought an extra set. KT 77, missing something in the mids; EL34 Svetlana's, nice but not as full; original Cayin EL34. Running a Cayin TA 30, jdsl isn't this is a great integrated for the $. Always looking of something new to try. Bob where and what did you spend on your siemans german Black plate single halo matched quads?

Tom

tk49

yeah I have really liked mine too! I've used the EH 6CA7s and liked those, then the new Mullard EL 34s replaced the EH 6CA7s and right now have some SED 6L6GCs that sound like they took the detail from the 6CA7s and the great midrange from the Mullards.

The only thing about the SED 6L6GCs is took a long time for them to break in. Someone said it was around 250 hours and that is about the same for me but it was worth the wait. I'm also using some Sovtek 5751 in the 12AX7 slot and some Mullard CV4003 for the 12AU& slot with great sound.

Once I get the Valve Art KT 66s and give them a chance to break in I'll post my thoughts.

I also noticed you also have a NAD C542 cd player and it matches great with the Cayin.

http://forums.klipsch.com/members/tk49.aspx''>http://forums.klipsch.com/members/tk49.aspx' mce_href="http://forums.klipsch.com/members/tk49.aspx">

Once I get the Valve Art KT 66s and give them a chance to break in I'll post my thoughts.

Please let me know how you like the VA KT66. I'd like to hear someone's impression of them before I order a set. I cant seem to find a data sheet on them (with complete specs) Do you have one?

Thanks

WopOnTour