Xmax on the KSW-12 woofer?

toussi1

What is the xmax on the KSW driver? For some reason Klipsch won't give me the Parameters for the driver... its like whos going to try to copy their weak design. I am just curious as how good the subwoofer is if i want to maybe replace it with a high excursion maybe aluminum audiobahn subwoofer or other brands...

------------------

http://www.autodirectsave.com

QUOTE:

... its like whos going to try to copy their weak design.

If you think its a "weak" design then why bother tring to get the specs on it anyway. Just look somewhere else. Personally I think these are one of the better subs for the price.

------------------

My HTS:

MAINS: RF-3's

CENTER: KSC-C1(LOOKING FOR A RC-3 OR RC-3II)

REAR: SS-1's

SUB: KSW-12

TV: TOSHIBA THEATER VIEW 50"

RECEIVER:KENWOOD VR-4080B

DVD: SONY S-360 DVD PLAYER

monster cable interconnects/12 gauge speaker wire

Maybe you didn't understand me. I OWN THIS SUB. I am wondering what the xmax? Its not a bad sub, but i am thinking of possibly replacing the woofer with a High performance (huge magnet, huge xmax) woofer maybe to make it sound better. However, i am aware that the drivers needs to have the correct parameters for this type of enclosure. I don't know how much good it would do the sound to replace the woofer with a 500RMS sub with 2 inches xmax and a 20 pound magnet when the amp is rated at 105watts.

------------------

if you're considering putting in a new driver...the old driver t/s isn't important. You need to examine the box(is is strong enough----does it have the correct dimensions for the NEW driver?),the porting(will it flow enough?),and the amp...what type of EQ and built-in subsonic filters might it have?

And what model autobahn has >25mm of xmax each way?

TV

This message has been edited by TVodhanel on 12-11-2001 at 12:08 AM

Actually no audiobahn i know has 25mm xmax... but there is a good deal on a Volfenhag 12" subwoofer which i am really considering with 16mm Xmax: that's about 1.26 inches peak to peak (larger than many subs out there). Price: roughly less than $80 shipped. Here are the specs. Let me know if this would make sense to replace the original KSW woofer (the KSW-12 has about a 30oz magnet)

----------------------------------------------

1000 Watts Max Power 500 Watts Continuous Power Red Cast Aluminum Cone Red Cast Aluminum Basket Dual 4 Ohm Voice Coils for 2, 4 or 8ohm Operation Efficiency: 89.5dB 1W/1M 6.3" Mounting Depth Fs: 30Hz, Qts:0.526, Vas: 1.98 cu. ft., Qes 0.614, Qms: 7.698 Bumped & Vented T-Yoke High Temperature 4-Layer Voice Coil Double Damper Heavy Duty Industrial Magnet Structure Push-Type Terminal Posts

------------------

You'd have to examine the ksw enclosure/porting to see if you thought it was suitable. You could try crossbracing it if you thought it needed it too. The main issue is the amp...if klipsch ain't talking(which is WELL within their rights mind you)about the EQing/subsonic filtering in the amp...you either have to measure it yourself...or I'd start looking for a replacement amp. By the time you do that, why not just sell the ksw12 for a couple hundred and build you're own enclosure and purchase a new amp? Parts Express had some nice 250w amps on sale for $130ish lately.

xmax on a driver is important...but just as important is the motor strength...one way to consider this is to look at

BL^2/Re

I dont see that info in the specs you gave though.

Qes can also be used(although it's not the absolute indicator of motor strength some claim imo). The lower the better for Qes...and >6 is rather high(poor).

TV

• 3 weeks later...

XMag is not really that big of an issue when dealing with ported cabinets......it takes gobs of power to move a 12 or 15 8mm at tuning if i'm not mistaken......

Sealed cabinets are a whole different story.....

------------------

Ice is forming on the tips of my wings.....-Pink Floyd, Learning To Fly

toussi1,

Have you replaced your ksw-12 sub yet with the red driver? Curious to know how it sounds?

------------------

Home Theater:

Yamaha RX-V1000

Klipsch RF-3's

Klipsch KSC-C1(LOOKING FOR A RC-3 OR RC-3II)

Klipsch Subwoofer KSW-12

Television: TOSHIBA THEATER VIEW 50"

DVD Player SONY S-360

CD Changer CDC 509 5 Disc Yamaha comming soon.

monster cable interconnects/12 gauge speaker wire

I was about to do it, but i said i would just buy a new subwoofer and not mess with it. I'm sure if you replace the driver it would sound better. BUT, the box is the limiting factor bevcause it is so small. If the box was another cubic feet bigger i can guarantee it would sound deeper and clearer.

------------------