subwoofers use with big klipsch?

hydebee

hey i got a question, i been using a high-end german made sub to go with my klipsch cornwalls and and klipsch forte , i unhooked it an dthe fact is i like the sound better without it, tell me guys and gals what is your thoughts on using subs witht he forte-cornwalls an deven the bigger klipsch?

thx bg

BG,

I have a modest sub (Monitor Audio FB 210) running with my CW's to fix a big suck out from 40 - 90 HZ in my room... with the Sub on (and CW's set to large) I'm getting a flat response between 30 - 100 HZ. Some day I'll build some bass traps to try and fix the problem... I still might keep the sub connected as I'm a bit of a basshead.[:P]

BG,

I have a modest sub (Monitor Audio FB 210) running with my CW's to fix a big suck out from 40 - 90 HZ in my room... with the Sub on (and CW's set to large) I'm getting a flat response between 30 - 100 HZ. Some day I'll build some bass traps to try and fix the problem... I still might keep the sub connected as I'm a bit of a basshead.[:P]

Could be an inadequacy in the amplifier as well.

Subs can cancel out bass from main speakers due to a few different factors. There are so many ideas to pursue in 2 channel and items to spend money on, a sub is way down on the list. Hard enough to make 2 speakers sound musical let alone adding another one for under 60 or 80 hz.

For the $ 800 I have invested in 2 different subwoofers In retrospect, I would have preferred to buy a Shelter 501 phono cartridge for musical enjoyment.

I've got some La Scalas and a RSW 12 that I could never get it to sound right with the LS. I ended up buying a pair of fortes that I'm using just the lows on and it really fills out the lows and sounds great. I guess I have two subs now.

post-13699-13819326398386_thumb.jpg

I would argue that an inadequate amp is one with low damping and unable to fully control the drivers reproducing the lower frequencies...combined with room modes, the extra resonance from the driver can compound any resonances in the room. I'm not sure if that's where Audio Flynn was going, but thought I'd comment anyway.

As far as dialing in subwoofage....if you're doing strict 2-channel listening, I've found that you need to approach the situation like you're converting your N-Way system to an N+1-Way system. The lascala is a 3 way, so lascala + sub needs to be treated like a 4-way speaker....which means stereo subwoofage. A properly integrated sub can in no way degrade the performance of a system unless it brings out flaws in the upstream equipment / source material.

Anyways, when you're dopping thousands of dollars on the speakers and amps and preamps, etc etc....it doesn't make sense to throw in a $500 sub and expect it to perform on the same level. It also doesn't make much sense when you try to throw in a sub that is smaller than the mains! Low frequencies require a large cabinet, no way around that physical fact. So anytime you make the cabinet smaller and start spending less on the sub, you're just asking for trouble. Granted, there are small subs that perform well, but they are expensive.

Well, that's just my opinion...it's hard as heck to properly integrate a sub into a system by ear - and I can only imagine it's even more difficult for those that don't do it very often. I would welcome anyone to come swing by my place and see for themeselves the difference subwoofers can make when tuned properly.

In my two channel system, I'm running two subs (would this be 2.2), one for each belle........ to me it sounds great. The subs are run quite low, just to accent the positive!!!!!! It really gives the whole sound a fuller (is this a real word) sound. More live sounding. Is'nt this what Klipsch is all about........... the live sound. When I'm sitting in my sweet spot.....................feels like I'm there [H] Could it be the ..............not sure........but it sure sounds good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The word subwoofer is a misnomer for most people. In the prosound area " subwoofer " defines a device that handles <150 hz material. Most are a complete joke, barely making 35 hz with power. Damn loud, but not low.

Subwoofer circa 10 years ago in the home market meant a cheesy woofer in a so-so cabinet of questionable build and a "barely" adequate amp. Might have good extension to 25 hz, maybe, with limited output ability.

Advancements in the state of the art and the profound amount of quality products on the market today sometimes baffle most, trying to seperate the wheat from the chaff. In all price points there are good products out there.

Today's DVD and CD authoring requires a complete redefinition of the word "subwoofer". Some have content as low as 10 hz. I would like to use the term subwoofer to define an device that reproduces the lowest octaves of music, from 16 hz to 32 hz.

For most music, the La Scalas need the help of a sub. After a lot of tweaking and repositioning, I've got relatively flat response down to 25 Hz (except for a 30-35 Hz peak). If the sub is switched off, the bass is pretty thin, but with it on, bass instruments sound fairly realistic.

• Moderators

In my two channel system, I'm running two subs (would this be 2.2), one for each belle........ to me it sounds great. The subs are run quite low, just to accent the positive!!!!!! It really gives the whole sound a fuller (is this a real word) sound. More live sounding. Is'nt this what Klipsch is all about........... the live sound. When I'm sitting in my sweet spot.....................feels like I'm there [H] Could it be the ..............not sure........but it sure sounds good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shinerman,

You are going to be tossing those subs when you get those Khorns into position. Maybe you can use em for planters or something?[:)]

Travis

Subs can cancel out bass from main speakers due to a few different

factors. There are so many ideas to pursue in 2 channel and items to

spend money on, a sub is way down on the list. Hard enough to make 2

speakers sound musical let alone adding another one for under 60 or 80

hz.

-----------

Amen.

I think the bass in my Belles sounds just totally fine. Sometimes I wonder if some folks might be seeking more bass than is ever "real."

HEY!

When a dude who gets wrote up in Stereophile as a Class "B" dude; comments on my comments it makes me feel like I learned a wee bit in the past 30 years.

Thanks Mark[8-|]