Sony 12" SA-WM500 as a possible upgrade for me?

blake_mooney

Ok guys/gals, right now I have a Klipsch Promedia 5.1 THX system. I have it hooked up to my PC and it sounds fantastic, but I was wondering, would the Sony 12" SA-WM500 sound any deeper or better?

Here's the Sony sub in question - 

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_techspecs_full.php/masterid=811011

I mostly watch movies and play games on the speakers. I'd be hooking up a receiver to my PC via optical cable if I got the Sony sub. I know Sony speakers aren't exactly known for their "high quality", and that Klipsch is known for it. But would you guys think the 12" Sony sub would naturally have deeper and louder bass? Especially for movies?

So my question is, would I be better off staying with the Klipsch Promedia 5.1 sub I have, or would it be a worth while upgrade to the Sony 12" sub? Oh and please don't recommend I get a pricier sub, the Sony is all I can afford. Thanks in advance guys/gals. :)

But do you think the Sony sub would be better for movies and games? I'm looking for something super cheap, no more then say $150 that will have deeper and more "window rattling" bass then my promedia sub. (don't get me wrong, the PM sub kicks major ***, but I'm just lookin for a little more low end bass for my movies and games :) )

But do you think the Sony sub would be better for movies and games? I'm looking for something super cheap, no more then say $150 that will have deeper and more "window rattling" bass then my promedia sub. (don't get me wrong, the PM sub kicks major ***, but I'm just lookin for a little more low end bass for my movies and games :) )

You're not gonna get much "window rattling" for $150 bucks. Either used or new. I say keep saving up you change, and buy a decent sub for around $300 or so. I don't deal with Sony at all, so I"m going to tell you their products suck. Look else where. But bottom line is that you're gonna have to spend more than that.

Gah, I said not to suggest higher priced items. [:P] I do appreciate the input guys, but I was wondering how the Sony sub would fare in comparison to the Promedia 5.1 THX sub? I know there are better options out there, but I'm not looking to spend much more yet. Would the Sony be a big improvement over the PM 5.1 sub is what I wanna know...

Looks like a newer version of the world famous WM40(a real boom box). Look at the specified low limit...24Hz,and this is probably not audible or so distorted you may want a refund. The PM 5.1Ultra bass module is solid to around 30Hz,the Sony probably has lesser extension and quality does not best the PM5.1Ultra.

The cabinets they use are flimsy.Save your money and get someting better later.

I thought you might like an unbiased response to your question per using the sony sa-wm500 as an "affordable" subwoofer. I currently own an all Klipsch system anchored by a KSW200 ( a klipsch 12' sub). I am also fortunate to own a second surround system with klipsch synergy speakers and the sa-wm500. I bought the sony sub as an inexpesive and temporary fill-in untill I could afford another klipsch sub. But nearly two years have passesd since I bought the sa-wm500 and I seem now to be in no hurry to replace it. Why? Because it plays loud and it plays low (fact) and with very reasonable sound quality (my opinion).

I am not familiar with the sound of the Promedia 5.1 and thus I cannot comment on the merits of its sub versus the sony. However, I am glad I came across the sa-wm500 because it has allowed me to bide my time happily until I can afford an even better klipsch sub than i had originally intended to purchase.