Horn Damping my LS

NJbob

I just picked up and used some stuff called QUIET KOTE - VB1S PRO. From parts express. Its a spray on dampner made for spraying down car wheel wells and firewalls. Well I sprayed down the k55 horn and inside of the cabinet and this stuff works. DEAD, it imeadiatly knocked down the shout and extended ringing...

These speakers keep getting better, who says they cant image. i get center sound almost as good as my magenpans with real uncollered bass to boot

Cheap spray on undercoating??? Like the asphalt based stuff?? YUCK. I could not live in the same room as them with it outgassing. Besides there is little mass to asphalt ( tar ), and no real damping characteristics. A better choice would be multiple coats of RV roof membrane coating. No odor after drying. Can be applied by brush.

I couldnt campare it to anything, I bought a 20oz can and sprayed it down enough for two speakers with some left over for a second coating of the horns only (Toninght I will add the second coat). It left a thin skin over the horn and inside cabinet. It did have a paint odor for about an hour then went away. Agion I cant copare but I can say it works and I'm happy. $15, I covered my crossover and sprayed away 10 min. Cant beat that.

I'm going to sell a horn dampening kit on ebay.

It's going to consist of a trash bag and a can of spray foam, like the type used for insulation and sold at home depot.

You take the trash bag and stuff it in the xover/horn chamber.

Then you fill the bag with spray foam.

I'ts also helpful in keeping you out of the xover area....so no more tweaking.

So that's Dynamat Xtreme applied to a K400 horn. I first made templates of heavy paper to fit the horn, then cut the Dynamat to match the templates. Scissors work, but you have to use strong soap or solvent to clean them after. Since I added some grille cloth the the inner side of the cabinet (neater looking than attaching it to the outside), I can't be positive that the damping alone made the difference, but those two changes certainly made the La Scalas more pleasant to listen to.