I surprised myself today - I pulled the trigger on a used DAC.

Guest " "

I got to admit...the gold plating got my attention, the 13 power supplies held it, the lack of XLR outputs was something that was a show stopper in the past, the 20bit DAC chip was my minimum consideration, unsoldered main componets is a plus for upgrade potential.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Up for Auction is a Highly regarded E.A.D. (Enlightened Audio Designs) DSP-7000 Series III DAC w/ HDCD Decoding. Even more Special is the fact that this one is in the Optional RARE 24Kt Gold Finish w/ the OPTIONAL Balanced Outputs as well! Just go online to see all the Fabulous reviews of the SERIES 3 DAC. With it's Famous Jitter reducing Digital Flywheel, to it's HDCD Decoding from Pacific Microsonics, It is truly "One of the BEST DAC's Available (even today) especially at this Price" Here's your chance to get the "Top of the Line" Version!

Performance Features!

The DSP-7000 Series III incorporates advanced digital and analog design features, providing a new standard of sonic performance in digital and audio playback:

Digital Flywheel reclocking cicuitry is a state-of-the-art, proprietary, dual time constant phase locked loop, utilizing a precision voltage-controlled crystal oscillator (VCXO). The electronic equivalent of a massive rotating flywheel, Digital Flywheel smooths out instantaneous time-base fluctuations (i.e., jitter), achieving a ten-fold jitter reduction from EAD's already advanced Series II reclocking cicuitry. This unrivaled jitter performance is especially cruncil in achieving the ultimate musical resolution and sound-stage focus possible through the HDCD process.

HDCD: The High Definition Compatible Digital (HDCD) process is a sophisticated dynamic-range-expansion and frequency-resolution enhancing algorithm used when encoding and playing back a CD, allowing much greater resolution and dynamic range than previously possible. As much as 20 bits of musical resolution can be a chieved with the HDCD process, rivalling the highest-quality analog master tapes.

Developed by Pacific Microsonics, the HDCD process was designed to match the ultimate resolving of power of the human ear, while maintaining compatibility withthe existing 16-bit CD format. All HDCD-equipped Series III products will play back both HDCD and non-HDCD encoded dics. Indeed, non-HDCD discs are played back with exceptional clarity, because the HDCD hardware acts as an ultra-high-quality digital filter when a non-HDCD disc is played.

EAD's proprietary AccuLinear design provides superior analog reconstruction of the musical waveform. This advanced technology incorporates discrete components within a single chip wafer to provide greater speed and accuracy than either discrete or conventional integrated designs can provide. This results in reduced transient distortion in the critical current-to-voltage stage -- effectively eliminating the principal source of harshness, glare and stridency commonly associated with CD sound.

Hand-matched, select-grade, dual-differential Burr Brown 20-bit DACs provide exceptional low-level linearity and dynamic range, with a guaranteed THD and noise level below -96dB.

ST-glass fiber-optic input provides an exceptionally high-quaity digital data link that is essentially immune to environmental AC electronic noise and resulting jitter.

Extensive error reporting. Front panel LEDs separately warn of signal degradation caused by uncorrected disk-read errors (i.e., transport errors) or inadequate performance of the coaxial and/or optical digital interconnects.

Upgradable design. All key components are socketed for easy replacement as advancements in digital technology allow.

Absolute phase switch. Phase inversion is accomplished in the digital domain, with no added analog circuitry to degrade the musical signal.

DC-coupled output eliminates capacitors in the signal path, prevents low-frequency roll-off and phase shift, and ensures extended, deep bass into any load.

Massive, custom toroidal power transformer features low mechanical noise and radiated hum field.

Thirteen separate power supplies, including multi-stage regulation for the critical analog stages.

Sophisticated grounding and isolation of the digital and analog stages eliminates potentially harmful ultrasonic and RF noise.

High-quality custom, gold-plated RCA connectors used for both analog and digital inputs and outputs.

Balanced outputs with switchable gain available as an option.

"The EAD DSP-7000 Series III processor lists for $2,450 and is finished in either black or silver. Gold finish is available special order for an additional $200, and balanced outputs cost another $399." (excerpt from Stereophile magazine)

"EADs DSP-7000 Series III represents a pain staking clean-up when compared with it's predecessor, the Series II model. At the core of this clean-up is what EAD calls Digital Flywheel Reclocking Cicuitry. "The electronic equivalent of a massive rotating flywheel" says an EAD explanation. "Digital Flywheel smooths out the instantaneous time-base fluctuations (or "jitter"), achieving a 10-fold jitter reduction from EADs already advanced Series II reclocking circuitry." "I would say EADs meticulous battening of the digital hatches, combined with the HDCD chip itself, has turned a sonically shadowed DA converter (Series II) into one of the most musical sounding components to be found at any price (Series III).

"The many hours I have spent listening to the Series III converter were all too short." "The new discs, old discs, some bearing fancy names of recording processes -- all acquired a new aura of presence, depth, warmth, human endeavor." "And, not just in A-B comparisons between the two versions of EADs converter, but also in switching between a couple of favourite D/A converters and the HDCD model from EAD. This new DA converter sets the benchmark for a new era of digital sound." (above excerpts from Audio Video Interiors)

post-22082-13819329841808_thumb.jpg

Here's some more spec's. The SN looks good. Not sure what to make of the jitter stats.

I'll be running Monster SP1000 XLR from the DAC to my tube pre-amp, and from my tube pre-amp to my tube amp.

post-22082-13819329845488_thumb.jpg

mdeneen

I'm baisclly moving from inboard DAC's to an outboard DAC for my home office where all my serious gear is.

All the source componets I have such as my CD player, media server, HTPS, SAT reciever, HT reciever have built in DACs. I noitced about a year ago that music that played thru my media server sound better than anything else I had with the exception of things that when thru my HT reciever. I bought a cheap DAC on ebay for 50 bucks and began comparing. Also had the chance of owning a tube CD player which had a Burr Brown 20bit DAC.

I initally had my mind set on a newer american made DAC, or an asian kit DAC, but was on the look out for something like a Parasound 1600HD. Main need is XLR in and out.

The Lite Audio DAC-192 was initally my first choice, but after exchanging emails with 2 distributors for a few weeks getting questions answered, this model suddenly is no longer available.

Kaiser SET Say,

Unfortunately, my cd players don't have SACD decoders so, my understanding is, when I play SACDs I get 15 bits of music and the least significant bit is encoded dynamic info that is just noise to a standard 16 bit decoder.

I was under the impression that SACD was taking off, Microsoft bought it, and almost everyone stopped putting the decoders in DACs and players and encoded disks virtually stopped. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Leo

Correction, 20-Apr:

I meant to write "HDCD" above, not SACD. sorry for the confusion.

Leo

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Leo, like the MD player HDCD has gone buy way of the DoDo bird but there is a lot of fine recordings still out there in HDCD.

Speaker, since I could not post a pic in the other thread Amy said to try it here!

Everyone please forgive my dust as my digital camera does not[:o]

OH MY GOD

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT

LOOK AT THAT DUST

I can not believe the Kaiser actually posted this picture as every picture I have sent him that has dust on gear it is the first thing he mentions and then he usually asks if I ever wipe down my gear..... Kaiser Do you ever clean your gear ? Oh my look at that dust : )

I am actually suprised as you can usually do surgery or eat off the floors in Kaisers listening room.

heheheheheeee

...I was under the impression that SACD was taking off, Microsoft bought it, and almost everyone stopped putting the decoders in DACs and players and encoded disks virtually stopped...

"Microsoft bought it (SACD)" literally or figuratively??? Either is news!