newb question

I really don't know how to express this so please bear with me. When listening to some cd's the singer's voice occasionally sound like they are not at the forefront. On most recordings everything sounds wonderful to me but sometimes they sound tinny. Is this the way Cornwalls sound, since they are so efficient? I know most of my equipment is not audiophile grade and was wondering if maybe a amplifier added to my receiver would cure what I am hearing. Like I said most of the time everything sounds fine, just the occasional times that things seem lacking. Thanks in advance.

Recordings all sound different, depending on the preferences of the artist, the recording engineer, perhaps even the intended audience. Try listening to the same CD on several different systems, ideally at least one or two fairly good ones. Some recordings will sound terrible on anything, it's just that it's more obvious on a really clear-sounding system.

As well, do you think your system is performing at its best? For instance, are your speakers in the best possible location, pointing the right way? Is your room set up right, not too echo-y or too muffled, for example?

Paul,

One question that comes to mind is the age of your CW's. If they are vintage the caps in the crossover likely would have drifted off spec over the years. Luckily, this is not an expensive proposition to handle. Bob Crites, (BEC) on this forum sells kits for diyers or turn key if preferred. In changing out worn out caps, I was surprised by the improvement.