My first post - Speaker Recommendations

STUDIO 2000

Hi All,

I am exited to join this forum.

My father in law has these hughe Klipsch Speakers twice the size of those Hereseys. They look like about 5-6 foot tall and I think they were originally in an old movie theatre in the 70's or early 80's not sure. I wonder what kind they are.

Recommendations:

My wife and I are building our first home and we are exited! We will have a media room (Theatre and Music) and I wish to have solution for my first speaker purchase. The room size is approx. 300 Square feet. I recently went to Best Buy and listened to the RF IV series and loved the low frequencies especially. The sound waas pleasing to my ears with both music and movies. I also like the look of these speakers as they will fit nicely in my new media room. The system that I auditioned was the RF-52 series. However the price is slightly out of range. I saw on the recommended list for Klipsch website the RF-10 series.

Question 1 :

Would the RF-10 be sufficient for that size room for movies and music?

Question 2: If I decided to purchase the RF-52 front speaker pair with:

RC-10 Center

RS-10 Surrounds

RPW-10 Subwoofer

Would It cause a misbalance in loudness/surround etc?

Interested in your thoughts on this.

Thanks

Dave

Well first off, WELCOME TO THE MADNESS THAT WE CALL KLIPSCH!!!!!!!! You might not get the punch that you are looking for with the RF-10's. What kind of budget are you looking at? Also would you be willing to buy the front two speakers now and peace together your system as you get the money? A lot of people do that and that would be the best thing to do, plus you will not have to upgrade for a while unless the bug bites....

So long story short get the most speaker you can and peace it together.

James

one last thing, where are you located? some people might be able to let you listen to their systems so you can get an ideal.

Thank you for your reply James. My budget would be around $2000 (this would include the speakers and amp) I guess I could do that in building my system as I go along. I am located in Austin Texas.

Would the RF - 52 fronts and the rest of the speakers RF-10 series be a bad match?

Dave

This is my first post as well. I am in the process of working on Home Theatre # 3. I want to go in-walls this time. The field is huge and I've eliminated the competition down to Klipsch. I always loved horns since I was a kid but have been using domed fabric, titanium, aluminum type tweeters for the last 13 years. At the price point of the entire in-wall 8" series (R-5800-W for the L,C,R, R-5650-S for the surrounds, & R-5802 for the left & right subs) can't be beat. This is defintely the way I want to go for 5.1 audio. Attached is a proposal for the front%5CDocuments%20and%20Settings%5COwner%5C "wall of sound" concept. The surrounds will be placed just behind the listening area on the side walls - not the back wall. Let me know what you guys think.Future Klipsch In-Wall of Sound

post-26452-13819329973838_thumb.jpg

With movies, the center channel is the most important speaker because that's where about 75% of the sound will be coming from. As far as the subwoofer, the RF-52's actually dig lower than the RPW-10, so that's not really worth the investment either.

You could probably score the RF-62 and RC-62 for $1,000 at a dedicated dealer (not Best Buy). Throw in an RW-12d for $600 and that leaves you with $400 for the reciever. Basically, you can figure paying about 85% MSRP. For the reciever, you can probably score a nice deal on a Denon AVR-1906 (which was phased out and replaced by the AVR-1907). You don't want to spend too much on your reciever now until the HD market settles down a bit....so later on down the road is when I'd suggest going all out on the reciever (if you even feel the need to upgrade).

Do you currently own any speakers? While I would recommend forgoing the surrounds now, you can use your existing / old speakers as surrounds until you have the opportunity to upgrade.

The advice I like to give everyone is to think of your audio purchases as longterm investments. A good speaker purchase should last you 20-30 years whereas you're gonna be changing out electronics every few years to keep up with the ever changing mediums. Also, you don't want to purchase any speaker that isn't part of your target system because you never get your money back selling on the used market.

Wow! Guys,

What a great response I have received. I like your thought process of seeing this as an investment, which it is. My father-in law has had these "gigantic" Klipsch speakers for almost 30 years, and they are the best I have heard. When he put on Appolo 13, the house literally shook at take off. I am still itching to know what model he has.

I think that you have made some excellent recommendations on me building up this system. I would rather take my time and do this properly. If you know of a good dealer in Austin (not best buy) please forward their info to me.

Thanks,

Dave

Thank you for your reply James. My budget would be around $2000 (this would include the speakers and amp) I guess I could do that in building my system as I go along. I am located in Austin Texas.

Would the RF - 52 fronts and the rest of the speakers RF-10 series be a bad match?

Dave

To be honest I don't know how the RF-52's up front mixed with the RF-10 series would match up. Check the "Find A Dealer" for your area and see if they have both setups. The best thing over all is how it sounds to you. Also remember if it's a stereo shop then take your own music to try out the speakers, also you should be able to negotiate the price with them, cash is always a go way to go and show them you are serious about this purchase. You can look at a discount of up to 30%, from some places, and having the cash will get you closer to that.

For that price I would get the RF-82 front speakers and the RC-62 as the Center. I always like to spend other peoples money.... [:D]

Next, what type of amp are you looking for? Are you looking at a receiver or separates? Just in case you don't know, separates consist of a Pre Amp and an Amp. Which the receiver has both in one unit.

James

Thank you everyone for your replies. I was misinformed. The room is approximately 17X3 which is = 200 Sqaure feet. Would you still recommend the RF 62? I was originally going to get the RF-10, but I am taking your advice and saving for the RF-62. This is an investment and I wish to do it right.

Any other ideas appreciated.

Dave

Studio,
Here is the link showing all the recommended systems (Reference).........and there componets....... My thoughts are get the Most you can afford, piece meal the system as others have suggested. Lastly, the RF 10 though nice will make you want to upgrade much faster than nornal..........

http://www.klipsch.com/products/lists/floorstanding-systems.aspx

Studio,

May I echo the other forum members and say you should try to build you system piecemeal. Start off with two speakers that you really want, and add the centers and surrounds later. In any system the speakers are the key. I've had my original two Heresy speaker since 1977. Many other components have come and gone, but the Klipsch speakers are still with me. (Joined by two others I bought from a woman who thought they were "too big, too old, and didn't go with anything".)

Good luck, have fun. You're off to a good start with Klipsch!

Hi from Australia. I have just set up RC62 centre, RF82 fronts and RC52 rears with Denon 2807 and a subwoofer (whatmough impulse) in a room of 260 sq ft. Awesome. Remember what you are trying to set up for - movies, music, sitcoms - because this should influence your intial choices.

Most modern movies are Dolby Digital. A second hand amp that plays DD will do and should still have resale value in 12 months or so. The denon 2807 is great but not essential initially. Save up for it because the DTS format is really good.

The RC62 is the best value for money centre I have found. Clear on dialogue and very natural sounding. Definate buy. You can do without a centre initially, lossing clarity on dialogue, which is a problem on sitcoms and non-blockbuster movies. If these are important, consider getting a centre (and forgo the subwoofer?). But if you do get a centre, don't compromise because you won't be happy for long.

In a room of 200 sq ft you could use RF62 fronts (or bookself speakers if you prefer) crossed to suby at 80 Hz. This is also a good option if space is limited. But if you want good music (or don't have a good subwoofer), better going for RF82s as the bass extension is better. The problem with most avr's is that you can only set them up one way, so swapping the speaker setup from music to movies can be a pain. Unless you have a good quality suby, don't rely on the suby sounding as good as the RF62s alone on music.

The suby. Well, it is the difference between a home theatre and a stereo. If you live for blockbuster movies, a suby is essential. The advantage of the RF82s over smaller speakers is that they can be set to 'large' and allow the suby to only reproduce the LFE and bass from centre and surrounds. The difference is better, tigher bass, but you may not think the cost of RF82s and a decent suby worthwhile together if you mainly watch non-blockbusters.

So, for blockbuster movies it sounds like you should go for RF82s with a decent subwoofer (and some building reinforcement) and a second hand DD amp, followed by a RC62 center and surrounds when possible. Alternatively, for sitcoms consider RF62s and the RC62 (good front stage) followed by a suby and surrounds. Or if you have good stereo speakers, use them as fronts and go for the RC62 centre and a good suby and perhaps the denon amp. It may not be tone balanced but will do and by then the RF82/62s might be on the second hand market. Welcome to the madness.........