My First Pair of Klipsch CF-3s

Im new to the Klipsch world , just bought my first pair of Klipsch CF-3s epic series. I truly no nothing other than the name of Klipsch speakers. I also at the same time bought a pair of Kg4s that to me sound great hooked up to my phase linear 400. Im planning on running my CF-3s on my pioneer spec 2 when it comes back from the shop. For now i have the CF-3s on the phase linear 400 and my Kg4s running off my yamaha RX-V592. Basically using it as a preamp for now to run my Phase. Also im running everything through my pioneer sg 9800 EQ. The sound to me is ok . Im still tweeking things out and somewhat worried of just how hard can i push the CF-3s. I bought them last week off EBAY paid $1100.00 . They are in very prestine condition NO flaws what so ever,(cherry finish). Sweet they are. I Gave $350.00 for the Kg4s which are also pretty nice considering there age 1985. My biggest concern is , ive been looking through some of the forums here and people are talking about differnt series of the CF-3s . I would like to know what the differences are and how do i determine which of the 3 i have? My serial #s are 313596749 and 313596752 epic-cf3-cherry. I did pull a woofer out to look at the magnet, its a very small magnet (black) speaker is very light . For the power rating you would exspect to see a monster size speaker . But these sure seem to be able to handle power, My Phase Linear 400 that is lol. Well i would really appreciate it if someone could inform me a bit on what ive got and maybe even some ideas of a good set up. I love jazz , acoustics, bass , and classic rock . I love to feel the music as well as listening to it . thanks for taking the time to read this and keep on jammin the Klipsch speakers , I Love my investment

Camforu, Welcome to the Madness, & Congrats on your killer purchases! I own the 1st version Cf-4's and I love them. The Epics are a great speaker! Looking at the serial #'s looks like you have the 3rd versions. The difference between the different versions are as follows. 1st version had a heaver damped woofer, smoother x-over design, and 5" ports. 2nd versions, they rasied the tunning, shorter 2.5" ports, rasied the horn level for more of an in your face traditional Klipsch sound. The thrid version have lighter woofers like what the KLF-30's use. The orginal design was to have the signature sound of an audiophile speaker with the effency of a Klipsch, which my CF-4's sound like. I saw that auction on Ebay last week as well, and like you said, they sure looked in great shape! you got a great deal! You can do a search under Epic or CF here on the forums to get a little more info on the epics Have fun with your CF-3's!

Thanks on the complements of my purchase , so do i have to worry about anything in particular.What about the power im feeding these cf-3s . Can they actually hold there own ? I think they rock but i am kinda concerned when im really cranking them . I do try and keep my sounds clean in everyway i know how to. Thanks again Keep it rockin ......... Chris

Right now im pushing a PHASE LINEAR 400 rated at 201 watts @ 8ohms per channel minimum rms with no more than 0.25% THD, damping ratio 1000:1 @20hz. These specs are out of the owners manual. I do intend on using my PIONEER SPEC 2 when i get it back from the shop. Its rated at 250 watts@ 8 ohms per/channel min rms, with no more than 0.1% THD, damping factor 20 hertz to 20,000 hertz @8ohms is 50 according to that manual Thanks again I cant wait to get this system set right , im no audiofile. But im sure working on it lol

With the damping factor on the Phase Linear amp being 20 times higher than the Pioneer, you will probably notice a big difference in his tight or 'fast' the bass feels between the two. The higher damping factor the better as it allows the amp to have more control over the woofers especially.

I see you have an equalizer in your system. Be very careful when running any kind of boost when turning the volume up to 11.

I am usually able to keep my tone controls flat on my sytems when running cd's or dvd's, and over the years have damaged speakers with too much boost at some frequencies. Also, replacement drivers for both CF's and KG's are pricey if available at all.

I've added a subwoofer to help with the low frequencies on my CF-4's since I can't really crank it without upsetting the boss or my already damaged hearing!

good luck with your new speaks

NP - PILLAR - where do we go....................

I'm happy to see this thread.I saw a pair of cf4's today for $600,oak finish,in 7.5-8 condition(very conservative).I looked at em' a spell but they looked kinda big,not that's so bad but....

I never hear much about em' on the forum,is there anything more familiar they sound like?

Thanks everyone for the replys, as far as the CF4s i dont know enough about them to say?. But as far as my system , just bought a second pair if CF3s Cherry finish . They are just as good as the first pair i bought a couple weeks back. Im going to be selling the KG4s , now just have no room for them . They are in great condition and the sound is really good. Im in need of (1) Klipsch badge for the CF3 on the lower part of the grill , its the only flaw out of all 4 CF3s. They sound great together , im running 2 pioneer 12 " amplified subs (150 watts each) which are just ok nothing special at all . What would be a nice sub to take up that low end ? I like to feel the music , The CF3s are great sounding but could use a little help on the low end . Thanks again Keep it Rockn

There's a lot of good subs to choose from, SVS and Hsu both make subwoofers that will play way below 20Hz extremely well if you like, otherwise they have models that don't have as deep of low frequency extension but have more punch in the 25-50Hz range.

I personally love my SVS although its more of a movie sub than a music sub since its tuned to play flat down to 16Hz. If you want a more musically inclined sub the SVS 25-31 PC-Plus or the PC-Ultra would be a good choice if you don't mind the odd water-heater look. [:)]

Posted Image

I was hoping someone could help me out , Im running 4 CF-3s .My living room is a long rectangle (ranch style home ) . Im kinda limited to speaker placement . Ive got 2 speakers at each end of the room , approx 7ft between each pair . the room is 25 ft in length .All 4 speakers are running through my Pioneer spec1 preamp and powered with the phase linear 400 amplifier. The spec 1 has the A or B or both A+B speaker selector , its A or B or both A and B speakers . The problem is when set on A the speakers sound great, set it to B the back 2 speakers sound great . When you select both A and B you lose the depth if your in the center of the room , get closer to either set of speakers and they sound( ok ) not great.But the depth comes back ( more bass). I do notice than when all 4 are going i get a cracking sound when the bass is about half way up and the volume is about noon. My freinds dont notice it until i point it out .When on A or B but not both at the same time, you crank up the bass and volume and both sets sound great, until you play them at the same time A+B. Could there be a cancellation problem ? I have double and tripple checked my wiring , all + are + and all - are -. Do i need to reverse my phase on the rear speakers . Im at a lost here, so any imfo i would greatly appreciate. Possibly could it be in the preamp A B selector control ? how about some ideas on a better choice of amplification for these CF3s I like power ( clean power ). Thanks