My 360 HD DVD Player review

tommyboy

My wife and I decided to get the player today. It came with Kong, and AAFES doesn't carry any HD DVD's yet, so we watched this one. I've already seen it twice, so I was strictly watching to look/ listen for improvements in playback.

I ran the video through my receiver, then to the TV. (TV's not 1080 capable). And of course the audio runs via optical cable. A complete list of my gear is in my signature.

The video was..... for lack of a better word, outstanding. There was a definite improvement is brightness, and clearness on our TV. To quote my wife "it looks like I'm looking at this in real life". Not even 30 seconds into the movie, I noticed the vast improvement in video.

Our current DVD player is the second to top model for Pioneer Europe. (voltage is switchable, so it's usable worldwide) The Pioneer gave the HD DVD player a "run for it's money". But the audio was "cleaner" sounding, and the clarity of the sound was improved on the HD DVD drive. I only noticed a slight improvement in overall sound quality. But don't get me wrong. This thing puts out some pretty amazing sound. The 360's player doesn't do all the new sound formats found on regular players. (as far as I can tell so far) The box only says Dolby Digital, and DTS.

I guess the bottom line is that the HD drive is only $190. So for this amount of money, it's an awesome piece of equipment. I was a little skeptical at first, but was just going to bring it back if I wasn't satisfied. Needless to say, I'll be keeping it!

I am in no way a professional reviewer (if you couldn't tell from my lousy reviewing skills). Just wanted to give you guys/ gals a heads up on this dirt cheap HD DVD player.

Final verdict 8 out of 10. Especially considering the price!!!

One thing to point out as well, once you eventually upgrade your system the new audio formats will really start to snap into place. The only drawback to the 360 add-on is the lack of support for DTS HD and DD TruHD but as far as video support it's top notch. Congrats on your entry into the HD disk market. It is a helluva lotta fun.

Hey congrats

Ive had mine since Feb and i love it.I would recommend getting the polar express,V for vendetta,a we were solders.U have heard xmen has great audio a visuals but i haven't gotten it yet.King king has the best picture to any movie out right now but expect to see more of that quality soon.I also have a bluray play via my ps3 and that is impressive as well.

If you come across any movies you like let me know

Hey congrats

Ive had mine since Feb and i love it.I would recommend getting the polar express,V for vendetta,a we were solders.U have heard xmen has great audio a visuals but i haven't gotten it yet.King king has the best picture to any movie out right now but expect to see more of that quality soon.I also have a bluray play via my ps3 and that is impressive as well.

If you come across any movies you like let me know

I will let you know if I come across any. I know Gladiator comes out soon. I have it on DVD in DTS ES. If it sounds that good on DVD, I can't imagine how it sounds on HD DVD. I was just reading Home Theater about the PS3's Blu ray player. They didn't really say too many good things about it.