What's a good speaker mainly for music?

Beatjunky

I am looking for any suggestions anyone may have on a pair of good speakers that will be mainly used for music but will also get a good deal of HT usage. My friend has some RF-3's and they sound pretty damn good which led me to this site. I noticed the RF-7's but from the discussion on this forum not many people seem to have as much respect for that series in comparison to the heritage. So if I want to stay under $2000 for a pair of speakers what would be the best Klipsch to go with? Feel free to recommend other brands as well for me to compare with. Thanks to all who take the time to provide feedback. Take care.

The RF3's are great, and with not to pricy gear, sound great. Many people on this site have tube amps, and other high end stuff to run there heritage speakers, and must sound great. The reference seris may not compair with the same gear as well as other old klipsch speakers.

Depending on your gear, your ear, and your room and listoning tastes will help you make at a decision.

------------------

Matthew

Gatta' love klipsch

I guess it would help those looking to respond to know that I have a Yamaha HTR-5240 receiver now but am considering an upgrade. I also am in the market for a good amp if any suggestions can come from that. I guess if I had to put a limit on a total system I would want to stay around or under $7000. I just want the most system for the money that will provide unparalled clarity and quality. If this helps I mainly listen to House/Dance, Hip-Hop, Opera, and Classical. Strange combo I know. Thanks again.

The Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver rules and is a good compromise for both music and HT listening. I run a pair of Klipsch KG 4.2s with it and the matchup is superb. We have similar tastes in music too. Today I listened to: DJ Shadow, Cut Chemist, Enya-Watermark, Nick Drake, Union Jack, Barber's Adagio for Strings & Holst-The Planets. Everything sounded great. How far are you from Austin?

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

Heck, if you have $2000 to spend on speakers get yourself the top of the line ...A nice used set of Klipschorns!

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

NOTHING-Thanks for NOTHING UBid!(No reciever)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Sony KV 27V55 (9 year old 27" TV still kickin')

:eyes

How do you know if you are going to get quality with the used speakers? I know you cant get the horns new but I have some skepticism buying a used speaker. Oh well I'll figure things out. BTW I am about two hours from Austin and yes that sounds pretty right on with what I would be listenting to give or take a little Radiohead. Were you listening to Brainfreeze...is that why you listed Shadow and Cut Chemist. Good taste my friend. Probably see you at a show in Austin in the near future. I was there for the recent Latyrx show...were you there? Take care.

Dream Music System

With five grand to spend on a musical system, I would definitely look at a large horn-based system with the HT signal run through them. Nothing captures the dynamics of music, especially classical, the way that big horns and well-built amplification can. Starting with the speakers, I would look for used super-efficient horns like the bargain priced Klipsch Khorns, the addicting Oris, the gorgeous Advantgarde and classic JBL models for the mains, with smaller versions for the sides and rear.

Big old horns have wonderful musical qualities. They are much better at reproducing important qualities such as dynamic range, air, tone, space, and clarity with lower distortion than the typical radiator cone speakers.

The larger Klipsch Heritage series speakers are beloved by many musicians. Acoustic instruments sound quite real on big old horns. The full range and dynamics of the piano, for example, is better and easier reproduced, for less money, than many other high-end systems. The right-hand notes have ping, the far left-hand ones growl and rumble. Drums have thump and snap, horns have blat and blare, and vocals are crisp and clear. Cymbals clang and sizzle like few other systems. As the bow strokes the taught strings of the cello, the Khorn cabinet vibrates like a hummingbird in flight. No other speaker makes pianos, drums, horns and cymbals sound so real.

Comparing them recently to a pair of small radiator cone speakers, I thought my big old Cornwalls were clear, un-muffled, larger image, more sizzle to the tambourines, more mid-range bloom, while the xylophone was almost 3D in texture and tone.

I will tell you this, for I am a resident of the cheap side of the tracks, the wonderfully musical qualities of Klipsch's big old horns can be purchased for the same price as most "beginning to sound good" speakers in the modest price range.

For new amps on big old horns, seriously consider the highest quality tube amplification from Wright or Wellbourne 2A3 amps for each of your channels. The Wright site is http://www.wright-sound.com/. I would also love to hear a pair of the Wavelength amps at http://www.wavelengthaudio.com/amps.html. Coupling big old horns with flea-powered 2A3 tubes, the combination is soft, delicate, chimes are more subdued and vocals are more natural and "breathy."

I do not have a six-channel pre-amp at the tip of my tongue. I myself am waiting in the wings for a six-channel tube pre-amp. Until the six channel music format on DVD-A or SACD is finally sorted out, I would look no further than the excellently reviewed $579 AH! NJOE TJOEB 4000 CD Player. In the equipment archives at http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/, ex-Stereophile Dick Olsher says, "All considered, the Njoe Tjoeb represents a fantastic bargain - a clear 100 on our value for the money scale. Outfitted with the Amperex Bugle Boys , the Njoe Tjoeb remains my reference in the under $1,500 price category. If you're a music lover on a budget, look no further, and treat yourself to this Dutch Bonbon. The old Tjoeb is dead. Long live the Njoe Tjoeb!"

Then I would add a pair of deep SVS powered sub-bass woofer tubes.

------------------

Colin's Music System Cornwall 1s & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing!