onkyo or outlaw ??????

johnny24c

I need help...... I have got it narrowed down to these two receivers and can't decide. I don't have a way to listen to either, so....

The OUTLAW 1050 or the ONKYO 787 now discontinued and on sale for not much more than the Outlaw.

I will have 80 mod Cornwalls or CF-4 for mains and will use mostley for home theater........

I know ther are a lot of great recievers out there ,but these are the only two I want to compare...

I am ready to make my move, and I am replaceing a SONY 825.. thanks guys,,

I would do the Onkyo...

It has very good power and awesome build quality. The price also makes it a better buy.Onkyo also has the Integra line with a 3 year factory warranty!!

Onkyo also gives you the ability to hear it first where as Outlaw has no stores to demo other than biased opinions of people who already own the Outlaw.

I have also noticed Outlaw is NOT very forgiving if you want to return the equipment after you buy it...(beware)

Good luck.

------------------

NO EQ'S ALLOWED

The outlaw has 6 sepatate amplifiers in the unit, so is it built like onkyo, honestly no its not, its a lot better!

I ordered mine, and got it the next day!

I love onkyo, my freind has the 787, and he needs a separate amp for it?

1,100.00, you would think a separate amp wouldnt be needed!

Read the reviews on both uits, and decide on your own!

this outlaw is built, ill tell ya that, 100% quality for the money!

Regards Jim

LOL i caint believe this, WOW

I replaced the sony 825, still sitting here with a brand new harman kardon, on a second system, then replaced the harman within a week with my outlaw!

My honest opinion, is the sony had more power, but man, this outlaw is a jewel, to the other 2 units!

Solid, and as clear in sound ive heard yet!

I ve heard the 787, and almost bought it myself, i decided to let my freind enjoy his, and do something different, im glad i did!

Onkyo is no toy, ill give them 5 stars, very nice unit, but i like my outlaw!

Have fun

Regards Jim

The Outlaw was awarded Stereophile Guide to Home Theater 2002 Gold Editor's Choice Award recently. They classified it as "high end", which it is. Their customer service is absolutly the best. You will only lose shiping charges if you return the unit = unless it has a problem, then they pay. In fact, they sent me new ones BEFORE I returned the two I had for a software upgade. Everything was FREE.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

This message has been edited by soundog on 12-15-2001 at 01:10 PM

I would definitely recommend the Outlaw 1050 receiver. I auditioned one for 30 days and found it to have excellent build quality, features, plus it has a first class high-current amplification section. The 65 watts rating is conservative and will put many 100-125 watt receivers to shame while delivering clean sound. Features are easy to set up and use, also the owner's manual is extremely well written.

I ended up returning my 1050 to Outlaw because I decided to get their 950 model pre-pro but if the 950 wasn't just about ready to come out I would definitely have kept the 1050. Outlaw's customer service is exceptional, when I phoned them to set up the return I was treated very well and they even asked if I would talk to one of their reps to give my opinion as to what I did and didn't like about the 1050. This rep was also cordial, very interested in my opinion, and demonstrated that Outlaw is trying to do business on a much more personal level than the mass marketers. There really is minimal effort and risk to audition one, Outlaw refunds the receiver price plus the cost of shipping paid to get it from them to you. The only thing it costs you if you don't keep it is the return shipping charges via the carrier of YOUR choice, as an example I paid for UPS Ground to the tune of $15.00. As far as I'm concerned fifteen bucks is acceptable to be able to try out a unit in your home and if you can get your retailer to loan you an Onkyo just do a head-to-head comparison.

I've got nothing against Onkyo, I had a P304 preamp and M504 amp combo of theirs for a while which produced good mid-fi sound. In this case Outlaw's advantage is that it is not a discontinued model and you're not paying for Onkyo's advertising budget or distributor/dealer markups. What you may not realize is that whatever the Onkyo's original price was the retailer is still making a profit off of the "closeout" amount you're considering paying for it now. Anyway, good luck and let your ears make the final decision, all the advertisements and other people's opinions mean little if you yourself aren't happy with your purchase.

------------------

Rooms $4.00 a week & up, mostly up - Free showers when it rains!

Amalgamated Association of Morons, Local 6 7/8

Jim Cornell......... You have both the Outlaw and the Sony 825. How would you compare the difference ?

The sony to me has plenty of power. and base that will sound like I have a sub with my cf4's and cornwalls. Will the outlaw still give me that kind of base and still sound better ???? and is there a optical input just for cd, because the sony don't have one for cd, But it has one for everything else, which I still can't figure out.

The main thing I am hoping to gain is DTS ,optical for cd and not haveing to go crazy trying to adjust that EQ. Plus clearer sound would fine too.

thanks for all the info so far..

If you haven't yet, do a search on www.hometheaterforum.com and you'll see more reviews and opinions than you can shake a stick at. cwm1.gif

I spent a week just reading and learning there before I bought my Denon 3802. I'm also thinking of getting an Outlaw for my bedroom system to go with my new RB-5s.

This message has been edited by ttubbiola on 12-16-2001 at 10:38 PM

outlaw

Pure clean sound, with no hum or hiss at all as far as ive heard!

This is trully one hell of a unit, my freind has the Onkyo 787 and was impressed with the quality build the outlaw has, he couldnt believe it!

I may have slowed down for now, but im planning on doing H/T better with my outlaw!

Plenty of low end.

Excellent all the way with H/t. Front to rear was an explosive expierence!

Harman Kardon AVR 120

Excellent receiver, is lacking a bit of power, but man, i have this unit going, and the outlaw both on cornwalls, and id say very simular in sound, i was surprised!

The center channel, in H/t isnt to impressive!

But i like the harman enough to run it in 2 channel! Excellent in 5 channel, that was very nice!

Sony STRDE825 has one of the worst reviews ive ever seen!

I turn mine on, hit the speakers, and there was always so much hum, and excess noise, Also a lot of noise thru the sub!

Although it does have plenty of power, twice that of my harman kardon, i DO NOT miss the problems i dealt with!

Sometimes id have to turn it on 3 or 4 times before it actually came on!

Na dont miss it!

I turn on the outlaw, i caint even count a second its on, and ready!

Im very happy with the 2 recievers i bought a week and a half ago, ive been listening to both!

Overall the OUTLAW is a true jewel!

Regards Jim