Newby with newby questions

Hello all,

I brought home my new-to-me La Scala's last night. I have yet to hook them up, but I will be using them as my mains for my media surround system. I have had a couple pair of Heresys in the past, but this is my first pair of BIG speakers. I'm excited to get the system hooked up. I'm listing the specs below. From my search I think I am correct in saying I have one late 88 speaker and one early 90 speaker. Please reply with corrections, info and opinions. Thanks.

1) 2)

Type - LS FB TG Type - LS FB TG

Ser - 8812938 Ser - 90002550

253 / 47 [01 ///] [0229] 89 - 1749 12/21/89 01/12/90

T - K77 T-K77

M-K55M M-K55M

B-? B-?

CN-AL CN-AL-3

The Klipsch stickers are dated 1985, but I'm guessing they had boxes of these stickers they used on all of the speakers. The bracked date code for speaker 1 with the hash marks [01 ///] is unreadable due to some black smudge.

Is there a simple explanation for the different crossover networks? The AL looks much beefier than the AL-3.

Thank you for any input you may provide.

Crossovers on the lascalas progressed over the years from many versions.. IE AA . AL.. AL3 etc. The Al3 is a much better crossover than the straight AL.. Some feel the AL is the worst one that Klipsch put in the lascalas... Some feel the AL3 is the best of the factory crossover for the las....

dave

The Klipsch S/N format for the period of your speakers is as follows:

1984-1989(?) YYWW####

Speaker 1 would be the 12th week of 1988.

Speaker 2 would be the 0th week of 1990. This could be due to the manufacturing dates of Dec. 21st, 89 - Jan. 12th, 90.

The format changed in 1990 to include the actual day of year in a different format altogher.

I was pleased to read the comment made by Dave Potter, as my La Scalas have the AL3 crossover networks.

- Richard

La Scala Fir Black Top Grille

Yes, for the K55M's you'd want the AL2 or AL3, I have rebuilt AA/A's in mine, but have wood walls that really absorb the mids so I can stand it a bit 'toppier'

Welcome to the Madness- nothing like starting at the top, eh?

Michael

1984-1989(?) YYWW####

Speaker 2 would be the 0th week of 1990. This could be due to the manufacturing dates of Dec. 21st, 89 - Jan. 12th, 90.

The format changed in 1990 to include the actual day of year in a different format altogher.

I was pleased to read the comment made by Dave Potter, as my La Scalas have the AL3 crossover networks.

- Richard

There is a bit of problem with those serial numbers, hence the (?), I have seen speakers from these years that would have been made in the 72nd (!) week of the year. hmmm..... we're working on it.

1984-1989(?) YYWW####

- Richard

There is a bit of problem with those serial numbers, hence the (?), I have seen speakers from these years that would have been made in the 72nd (!) week of the year. hmmm..... we're working on it.

You will still want to put new caps in the AL3's. That is what I have in my 96 lascalas which I rebuilt last summer.. Even though they were only 10 years old it made a wonderful difference... I also rewired with silver wire at that time.. Nice!!

You will still want to put new caps in the AL3's. That is what I have in my 96 lascalas which I rebuilt last summer.. Even though they were only 10 years old it made a wonderful difference... I also rewired with silver wire at that time.. Nice!!

Interesting thought, as my 93 La Scalas are older than yours. Did you replace all of the caps, and what brand did you use? I used MusiCap and DynamiCap in my Cornwalls, but that was only a total of 4 caps, so it was within my budget - great results! There are more capacitors in the AL3 network, and I do not want to use inferior caps, but the cost for MusiCap or DynamiCap is excessive. Where can I cut corners?

Richard

I'm not much of a technician, but I can solder... I ordered the parts from BEC to do the upgrade myself. I believe what I was sent were GE poly oil caps If you need to know specifics I can check this evening and let you know. If I remember correctly the upgrade cost me around 100 bucks for both speakers. I wasn't expecting much of an improvement, but was pleasantly surprised. One thing to note tho... I upgraded the wire at the same time so some of the improvement could be attributed to that.

Dave