Powerlight 3 !!!!!

michael hurd

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mas, Mike or anyone with personel experience with the Crown K series and K1 in particular I would like your opinion on maybe using them with the Jubs.

Wow , now I just bet that would knock your socks off. There ought to be a law[;)][Y]

Mas, Mike or anyone with personel experience with the Crown K series and K1 in particular I would like your opinion on maybe using them with the Jubs. I'm probably going to try some solid state amps sooner or later and from what I'm reading these might be a good choice. So any reason these might not be an option that anyone is aware of ?

I would be surprised if you didn't like it. The K2 is one of my favorite amps.

MAS,

I have to mas-sivly agre with this mas-sive post! [:P] And post a mas-sive OT pic...

Posted Image Today I hauled fout cut down to size 3/4" 4x8' sheedt of MDF. The pic has half the MDF,for one 10cu ft cabinet.

Looks like a fun project, Ear! (Are you a DIY r/c guy too?)

-david

David,

Yes I am in R/C big time,from micro R/C to 1/4 scale on road. I build kits and mod them,nothing stays stock.I also build large functional machinery to scale using Lego Technic blocks.My most complex used around 9000 parts.From loaders to cranes,all motorised and remote control.When you master the art of building and are inclined in...mechanics it is a fun hobby. I have a closet full of my projects,literally...full.

In R/C I have it all from brushed to brushless,from two stroke gasoline ...nitro ...and the way to four stroke. Tuning the engines is all the fun...[:D]

David,

Yes I am in R/C big time,from micro R/C to 1/4 scale on road. I build kits and mod them,nothing stays stock.I also build large functional machinery to scale using Lego Technic blocks.My most complex used around 9000 parts.From loaders to cranes,all motorised and remote control.When you master the art of building and are inclined in...mechanics it is a fun hobby. I have a closet full of my projects,literally...full.

In R/C I have it all from brushed to brushless,from two stroke gasoline ...nitro ...and the way to four stroke. Tuning the engines is all the fun...[:D]

"The only difference between men & boys..." lol

Interesting-I've always wanted to buy a helicopter. I've heard they are one of the toughest to control, but that's probably part of where my interest comes from. Sorry for the mini-hijack!

David

David,

So you are actually a Motorhead and not an Audiophile. I see.

More like a Jack of all trades, I burned about 4 pounds of 3/32" 7018 today, welding up cracks in a float. Ground almost all the way through, and a good number of passes to make sure that it will not come back anytime soon.

Arthur: Been busy with other work at the moment, I will let you know when I have flares for you, I also had a funeral to go to yesterday. I am getting a price on the QSC PL380 by the way. Behringer DCX 2496 price is not bad, but I am going to shop around for a better price on it.

David,

Here.... Posted Image My Serpent 710 on a Klipsch RF7. [:P]

It was new then,fuel tubing not even installed...today it has some wear...[:'(] These run around $1400 for a complete kit,with starter box...engine and the works.Fast and very noisy...the tuned pipe is not much of a mufler,actually needed for the engine to work.

Roc,

I am a technophile!

Michael,

Yes those flares let me know when you are ready,I would take four. And send me a PM when the time comes.

Right now I started with a sealed sub and the second will use a slot port.I will have use of the flares in my fourth DIY sub. I am waiting for four Tang band W8 704 8" woofers from PartsExpress,just got two Dayton Titanic III 15" woofers.Will order two SoundSplinter RL-p18 woofers and finally dual TC LMS-5400 18".First I have to assemble and finalise my dual TC-3000 15" sub. My plate is full.

Technophile - an enthusiast of technology

....one who practices technophilia.

Technology - 1 a : the practical application of knowledge especially in a particular area : ENGINEERING 2 <medical technology> b : a capability given by the practical application of knowledge <a car's fuel-saving technology>
2 : a manner of accomplishing a task especially using technical processes, methods, or knowledge <new technologies for information storage>
3 : the specialized aspects of a particular field of endeavor <educational technology>
- tech·nol·o·gist

Great amps by QSC and crown, though I tend to like the sound of crown amps better, we have a rack of 4 crown macrotech touring amps in our rack powering our 3 way EAW tops and bi-amped EAW subs.... Overkill for 300 people?

But i stay away from amp with switching power supplies for my FOH rig, to high a failure rate.

It's an EAW 650 Rig, the LMD driver is a 15", and the subs are dual 18"

For processing... the official EAW 650 Processor tuned from the factory ;)

Theres 2 other rigs for me to play with,

First, a stack on each side with 3 cabinets with 2 JBL 12" and a 2" horn, and 3 subs with 18" JBL drivers powered by an older QSC touring stack with a DBX Driverack processor

And also the horn loaded rig from like the 70's...

a stack on each side with 3 cabinets with 2"Horn, 2 12" mids horn loaded... and as many as (i think theres close to 30) JBL horn loaded in a W" config with 2 15 inch drivers and BSS processing for the whole rig with QSC amps... this rig can fill a football field, no problem. The EAW rig is for rooms and a clean sound, the JBL's are for rock, arenas, and stadium.

Have you done some pro audio Dr.Who? We should talk :)

30 W-Bins?!? My oh my...indeed we should talk! Do you own all of that for yourself? The Klipsch pro gear is actually how I became a Klipsch fan and got mixed up in this forum. It's so sad they're not in the pro world anymore as I always felt they made the best horns. EAW is my second fave (or rather my current fave since they're still in production). I'm rather young and haven't mixed for crowds over 1,000 (yet), but I know my way around a board.

Will you be at the pilgrimage? I don't know Canada too well but it looks like you might be close to Michael Hurd and I bet y'all could carpool down. How nice of me to offer you his ride [;)]

30 W-Bins?!? My oh my...indeed we should talk! Do you own all of that for yourself? The Klipsch pro gear is actually how I became a Klipsch fan and got mixed up in this forum. It's so sad they're not in the pro world anymore as I always felt they made the best horns. EAW is my second fave (or rather my current fave since they're still in production). I'm rather young and haven't mixed for crowds over 1,000 (yet), but I know my way around a board.

Will you be at the pilgrimage? I don't know Canada too well but it looks like you might be close to Michael Hurd and I bet y'all could carpool down. How nice of me to offer you his ride [;)]

I do not own everything at our "shop" me and another sound guy share the gear. I say "shop" because its just a big storage locker/warehouse filled with gear... I should take a pic of my wall of W powwer!! But there are 3 PA systems and 2 techs... so i do tend to call them mine from time to time... I love EAW and older JBL speakers but i've never tried the Klipsch stuff.

I won't be at the pilgrimage, id love to go but sadly I have no car and it's too far to walk. It's cool that you are young and doing audio.... Im only 20 so considering the scale of events I do and the equipment I use I consider myself pretty lucky!

What are your preferences as far as your FOH gear?

Oh, and are there any other pro audio dudes on here?

My only real brand loyalties lie with the Allen & Heath boards (of all vintages) and Crown amplification. I started when I was 8 so I blaim most of my bias on my mentors. Everything else is pretty much gravy as long as the mics are good and there is sufficient effects and processing. I've found that the speakers and their implementation have the largest impact on sound quality (provided you're working with modern electronics - there's a lot of stuff from the 70's and early 80's that just plain sucks). I've never been a huge fan of JBL, but that's not to say that they are bad either. I've just always preferred the voicing of EV, EAW, and Klipsch....might as well throw in McCauley too.

There's actually quite a few pro audio guys on the forum as well as a ton of musicians. I've learned a lot on the forum which is probably why I've stuck around for so many years.

How did you get caught up in your "shop"? Sounds like you guys are having a blast.

For me I like Allen and Heath as far as bang for your buck goes, but midas, soundcraft, or digital yamaha consoles for me! Crown for amps, QSC sometimes too. AKG mics, EAW PA and JBL, but not new JBL stuff, only stuff from the 70's thats been taken well care of. EV I only like for their X Array line array. I find their stuff to be loud but lacking in smoothness unlike EAW.

As far as my shop, the other audio guy who works there I used to rent from!