Good home theater receiver for under $500

codyaaron2

I love my Yamahas.

To get one like mine (or better) for $500, you can buy used.

I did.

Both of my Yamaha RX-V's were Ebay buy's for less than $500 each.

The RX-V1400 at 110 RMS and the RX-V1500 at 120 RMS 7.1 channels + and THX select cert.

Both can be seen as "good" HT receivers.

IMO

I have no experience with Dennon and I look forward to reading what others have to say on this subject - Good Luck !

~Noah

Definately spks. Receivers need to be continually updated to stay with the technology. Dakmart has Denon. Harmanaudio.com for HK. Check audiogon nothing wrong with used.

Welcome to the forum!

I would definitely put a priority on investing in quality speakers.

The receivers, and in particular, the formats and interface formats they employ, are continuing to evolve; with the soon to be advent of the DisplayPort becoming the stand interface supplanting S-Video, component, DVI, and HDMI - just to provide one example. So they will continue to change, and you may find yourself wanting to upgrade sooner rather than later if for no other reason than functional compatibility.

As far as receivers, if you will pardon my generalization, it seems that the Denon, Harmon Kardon and Yamahas are all liked; with the Yamahas exhibiting a bit more 'personality' that some love or hate. But all get consistently good reviews. I have had the Denon and am very happy with it. But I must admit to finding the connectivity options offered by the HK as well as the reviews and experiences of others rather compelling.

A recent query into receivers did indicate that some of the HK units feature USB connectivity, which offers the potential for interfacing a network attached storage device - a hard drive for your audio and video files - (among other things). I would seriously consider this functionality.