Mac C-26

My new acquisition is hooked up and is reproducing Dark Side of the Moon pretty darned well. I do have one concern though. The volume knob seems to yield very little volume from the off position to the 9 o'clock position, but beyond that it comes on like gang busters. Is it common for this to behave this way? If not, what could be the issue? I like the sound it produces and it will take a bit , I believe, to realize all the diferences between the C-26 and the Phase Linear 3000 Series II. I can tell already that it has a bit warmer touch to it. But this is the first cd I have listened to so far.

Tom

Might be an easy fix. Just spray the on-off switch with DeoxIT. You can get it at Fry's or Radio Shack.

I had a switch that would get louder as you turned it off. It would work for awhile, make a sound and act strange. Quick spray with DeoxIT, worked the knob back and forth several times. Works like a charm.

Might be an easy fix. Just spray the on-off switch with DeoxIT. You can get it at Fry's or Radio Shack.

I had a switch that would get louder as you turned it off. It would work for awhile, make a sound and act strange. Quick spray with DeoxIT, worked the knob back and forth several times. Works like a charm.

I cleaned the volume control and every other control while I was at it and it has made no difference. What else might the problem be? Any help or suggestios will be appreciated.

What was quite common for these volume controls in the C-26, and the tuner preamps based on it, was for the potentiometer to lose linearity - that is, one channel gets louder faster than the other, the balance changes while you're listening, that sort of thing. I don't know if replacements are available - the "on-off" feature is kind of a sticking point. On the MX-112 I had, the potentiomer went bad, and the only replacement my shop could find had a "linear taper" instead of an "audio taper." It behaved much like you are describing.

Dynaco PAS-3s had an unusual "taper," which meant there was a minimal amount of gain from 7 o'clock to 10 o'clock, a real rapid rise between 10 and 12, and then a gradual increase after that. I was told the idea was to let you have the most control at high and low levels.

Have you read Roger Russell's page about the C-26? You might enjoy it.