Heresy II's need help in lows.

bbartok

I just bought a Rel Strata 3 to go with mine. It seems a perfect match to me as it is a sealed unit. like the Heresy itself.

Accordingly, you cannot tell where the speaker ends and the sub starts - it is just like having a Heresy that goes down to 20Hz.

Cant recommend it highly enough.

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

2 * Homemade horn speakers (rears)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Tube monoblocks with separate pre-amp (solid state).

Marantz CD6000 player

Sony NS900 SACD/DVD player

Stax Headphones

Humax 5400 digital satellite receiver

Sharp Video

32" Sony flat screen 16:9 TV

Mogami interconnects

Silver Synergistic speaker cable

Most people have only one sub. You probably only need one sub. Low frequencies are effectively nondirectional. You won't be able to tell where they came from.

Some people like two subs, one for the left channel, and one for the right, They feel it improves the sound. However, there are potential pitfalls from the interaction of the two subs. In some installations, you may need more than one just to get enough volume.

If you are using speaker level inputs to the sub, whether it is a passive sub with a dual voice coil, or a powered sub, you just route the wires from the amp through the sub to the left and right channels. So you will have the bass from both channels. Most powered subs also have a line level input that can be connected to the subwoofer output of a HT receiver.

Bartok---Here's what you do. Go to www.jblpro.com Then go to the online tentsale, then to blowouts. Buy 2 4648A-8 low frequency speakers at $220 each. Each contains 2-15" woofers in a vented box. The woofers are model 2226, these woofers are of the very highest quality and cost $300 each when discounted. For your $440 you'll be getting FOUR of these drivers and 2 cabinets. The 4648s are JBL's high quality motion picture theater bass speaker, odds are that in a THX theater you're listening to 4648s. Each cabinet is 100db efficient and placed against a wall will put out 35 cycles at 125 db, plenty of bass. Run your Hereseys full out and parallel one JBL with each to augment the bass, wire a 12mh coil in series with each JBL to roll it off over 100hz. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that this is the best way you can spend $440 on bass, they are almost giving these things away, Hell, it's argueably the best way you could spend $4400. I ordered 2 for myself to augment the bass on my VOTs.

• 1 year later...

i just picked up a PERFECT pair of raw birch 1985 heresey 2's for...less than i would have paid2.gif

i sold the guy a pair of rb-35's rc-35 and ref 8"2-way inwalls w/an energy 10.2 sub(didn't have the rw series klipsch at the time)all hooked up to a yammy rxv2200 rcvr.

he actually took less than i offered9.gif

right now i have them hooked up to a pioneer receiver,and they are on top of a towel-covered filing cabinet(each).i have also found the bass to be lacking,and am wondering if putting them on the risers made for them helps.

i will say the sound/soundstage of these is very impressive,and am VERY happy to have gotten them.

in the rw/rsw klipsch line, what sort of choices would be best? T.I.A.

avman.

Tom,

Now this sounds interesting !! Will this setup work with Lascalas ? Please go into more detail on how to hook them up with Lascalas ! I know we have had are differences in the past but please fill me in on this tweak ! $440 sounds like a incredible deal ! Also what is the size of these cabinets ?

Craig

AVMAN,

I'm not sure what in the Klipsch line would work for you in your setup, but I have been running a Cambridge Soundworks P1000 sub with La Scalas for a few weeks and have been quite impressed. One thing I was looking for was remote control. Adjusting a sub to switch between two channel and HT is a headache. This unit, aside from being very well made, has a motorized remote in a seperate control unit. For setup, the user just needs to get the sub dialed in to pick up where the frequency starts dropping off in the mains. This sub can be configured out the wazoo as well as having 180 degree phase adjustment. The amp is 1000 watts and it has two opposing 10" drivers. It is solid as a rock, attractive wood finish. Worth reading about at www.hifi.com.

Don't have any experience with other high end subs to compare in terms of quality, but to my ears, my LaScalas sound better than ever. It's interesting to turn off the monoblocks and just listen to hear the sub output. For just a little bottom end sound, it's amazing how complete the musical program sounds soooo much better on La Scalas. With Heresy's you'd want to dial up the frequency higher to match the rolloff on the Heresy's. And then you don't have to get down on your hand and knees to adjust when you want to have earthquake sound on HT. Impresses the heck out of me. Hifi.com has a 45 day no questions asked return policy, which I'm not sure applies to what they sell on Ebay, but they do have open box specials they sell for about the same price on hifi.com.

regards,

Dee

----------------

On 9/7/2003 5:27:35 PM NOSValves wrote:

Why do people resurect these old posts ! trying to confuse a already confused person
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/9.gif">

----------------

Yes, we should be thankful that the Klipsch forum is populated by at least a few people who have a concern for the hereafter.

Why just this morning, I went in the other room and then stopped to ask myself, what did I come in here after!1.gif1.gif1.gif

NOSvalves...why did i ressurect this post?

because i did a search for 'hereseys' in 2-channel and this post addressed that issue. i realize how there can be confusion, but as helpful as i try to be i get tired of answering the same ?'s over and over again.

having said that, a few unanswered ?'s remain.

what impact does placing hereseys on their risers(or something simular)have,particularly in the bass dept.?

i don't have risers,and would prefer to keep them higher like they are now rather than put them on the floor.

as much as i don't like the concept, activating 'loudness' on my pioneer receiver makes the hereseys sound better. are there other ways of accomplishing this effect w/out'bastardising'the sound?

i'm thinking about a rw-12 as it is spec'd to 113dB@30Hz and the heresey 2's are spec'd to 114dB max output,AND the hereseys have 12"woofs in them. i may also try a rw-10,maybe even a rsw-10.(it's easy for me, i can bring'em home from my store9.gif )

T.I.A.

avman.