Console Fans - 1958 Telefunken Salzburg III U or 3U Console Radio - Any Info?

Frzninvt

A guy I know from work is offering me one of these in primo condition fully operational sans a stylus for the phono, any idea on this thing. I searched Google and Yahoo and did not find out a whole lot and couldn't find a viewable photo either. It is tubed but I am wondering what is in it? Probably going to look at it this weekend, the guy wants like $50 or less for it.

Anyone know anything about this old console?

Not familiar with the model but most Telefunkens are basically radios, and probably wouldn't be that useful in terms of turning it's guts into a useful integrated amp. 1958 so it may not even be stereo. I have a a telefunken console with stereo and shortwave and it pretty much just sits there.

Here's some links to help with your search:

http://radiomuseum-bocket.de/engl/e_index.htm

http://pjeantaud.free.fr/stereo_console/

http://www.radiomuseum.org/

Here are some specs, sounds like stereo to me with 6 speakers in it, whatcha think.

Year: 1958 / 1959 Type: Radio or TunerBroadcast receiver (Radio).

Mod. ID = 25356

Principle Super-Heterodyne (Super in general); IF-Freq. 469 kHz

Tuned circuits 8 AM circuit(s); 12 FM-circuit(s)

Wave bands Broadcast, Long Wave, Short Wave plus FM.AM (long-, medium- and short waves) and FM (VHF)

Power type and voltage Alternating Current supply (AC) / 110-240 Voltz

Loudspeaker 6 Loudspeakers

www.radiomuseum.org Model: Salzburg III U (3U)

Material Wooden caseWooden case. Most radios have a wooden cabinet until the WW2.

Shape Console with any shape - in general (details not known).

Dimensions (WHD) 1250 x 850 x 440 mm / 49.2 x 33.5 x 17.3 inch

Valves / Tubes 11: ECC85 (more for members)

Notes Neues Modell aus den USA von Herrn Rathgeber gemeldet. Push-Pull, Ratiodetektor, Plattenwechsler und tonbandgerät integriert. Dynamic Expander (EBC91+EM80).

Yeah sounds like their standards radio console with a turntable. They sound nice in a console kind of way. I think it's consoles like these that brought about that "warmth"label used to describe the tube sound. You will find that the transformers are really dinky and there is probably no Aux or rape loop so it would be hard to hook up a cd player wihtout major re-wiring. You can pretty much count on most of the tubes and caps being on their last legs. If you buy it don't leave the house with it turned on.

What the Telefunkens usually have going for them, though, is really cool looks. A lot of them have that 50's/60's Scandinavian thing going on. If it's got the fold out front you could use the top for your regular stereo gear and have a conversation piece to boot. Give it a look see but don't pay to much or get your hopes up to high. These are not like the Fisher consoles which have really good stuff in them.

• 2 years later...