Remote Control Extenders

Gnomore

Ok.. I just moved into a new house that was prewired for my speakers. I have all of the A/V equipment in a closet. I bought a Recoton Remote Extender so I can still control everything by pointing the remotes at the TV. The problem is that the Recoton model doesnt seem to be very sensitive. It is about 16 ft from the couch to the TV and it will not pick up the signals that far. I was looking for some advice from others that have used remote extenders. I want a model that can pick up the signals from across the room and also has a fairly wide angle that it can pick up from. I know X10 has the Powermids but don't know if they are any better than the Recoton unit. Anyone have some advice for me?

Thanks,

Gno

I am in a similar situation. I had considered the X-10 Powermid but will not be going with it. What I will be going with is a hardwired system, probably from Xantech. The reasons for doing this are to end up with something that is not as visible, is not susceptible to IR and RF inteference, and has better performance. I have an accessible attic to run the wiring so its pretty easy to install. There are also versions that superimpose the signal on coax that can be used with existing TV cabling.

Malcolm - Let me know how that works out. I looked at the Xantech products and they seem to be pretty nice. I have a couple extra cables running through the wall from my TV so they would work for me. I just dont wan't to spend the $150 or so to buy that setup and find out that it isn't any better than the $20 Recoton units.

I have one set of "powermids" now but I also wanted a hardwired system. I looked at Xantech and others, but was totally taken-back by the outragous pricing!! Being that I have a BS in EE, I decided to build my own unit for a fraction of their cost. I hope to get it done sometime in the next few weeks.

BTW, you can get IR emitters (very similar to Xantechs) for like $1.50 each from www.allelectronics.com.

quote:

Originally posted by Gnomore:

The problem is that the Recoton model doesnt seem to be very sensitive. It is about 16 ft from the couch to the TV and it will not pick up the signals that far.

You might try re-positioning the IR emitter (which is the RF rec'r) unit in your closet. My recoton unit works fine with my remote 14ft away from the IR rec'r (which is the RF tranmitter) unit.

I don't think you'll find much difference between the recoton and powermid units.

Gno - I just tested the range on my PowerMid, and it picked up my Prono IR signals from at least 20 feet away, and that was with sunlight in the room as well.

I also like the re-transmit range of the PowerMid. It gets a signal from the master bedroom at the back of the house to the media room at the opposite front corner of the house, whereas the Recoton could not do that.

Doug

------------------

My System

• 2 weeks later...